drag and drop into text + different right answers

drag and drop into text + different right answers

by Martin Fischer -
Number of replies: 6

Sorry for my ignorance, but I´ve just discovered the open university plugin drag and drop into text and just can´t figure out:

1) if there can be different right answers to one "choice"

2) what "infinite" means.

sorry again and thanks in advance ...

Martin 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Fischer

Re: drag and drop into text + different right answers

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

1) I am pretty sure this is impossible.

2) It is to do with whether the student can use that drag item as many times as they like. It that box is not ticked, then when a student drags one of the boxes, it gets used up. With that option turned on, when a student drags an item, it is copied, and the student can take more and more copies to fill in as many boxes as they like.

(If that is still not clear, try making an example question, and try turning the option on and off, and preview the question after each change to see what difference it makes.)

I guess we did use an unnecessarily technical word for this. Can anyone think of a better phrase to use in the UI, which does not take a lot more space than the word 'Infinite'?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You might consider the Gapfill question type that allows alternative correct answers through the | operator. So a question might ask The [cat|dog] sat on the [mat|rug] and either answer would be correct for each gap. If you want to get really fancy with use of the | operator you can even create category questions like the one shown below.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=243569

In reply to Marcus Green

by Martin Fischer -

Thanks to all three of you for your quick and clarifying responses.

Maybe Joshua´s proposal (“reusable” - or why not “reusable item”), would make this question type more intuitive and easier to use.

Marcus, your gapfill question type looks quite interesting. I´ll have the plugin installed on our moodle site (2.6), then I´ll try to use it - “learning by doing” – and most likely will get stuck again and come back to you with further doubts. I hope, this won´t bother you too much. 

Regards,

Martin

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I agree with Joshua that reusable might be a better name for that feature. I asked about the purpose of that checkbox a while ago and I had been playing with the question type to try to figure out what it did. Joseph Rézeau gave a good explanation 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=203802#p890468

Martin, feel free to ask about my question type in these forums, I was working on the documentation last night so any questions may help me to improve it. I have yet to put that bovine, canine, feline example in the docs and people might find it useful. I call that feature "words by categories".

In reply to Marcus Green

by Teresa Mackinnon -

has anyone else experienced the following when creating drag and drop items:

-when using infinite, the answers are sometimes marked incorrect despite being correct. (we work around it by adding each necessary word more than once)

-when setting up the question text using *** the missing word is not found in the choices despite it clearly being there and being exactly the same.

We are using moodle 2.4 and using languages other than english lots of the time. Our tutors find drag and drop unreliable.