If a student doesn't make an attempt, what grade will he get?

If a student doesn't make an attempt, what grade will he get?

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 6

I noticed that in the gradebook, if a student doesn't make an attempt for an assignment, there is no grade assigned.

But I would like a default grade to be given to students who do not complete an assignment by a certain date. For example, if the assignment is worth 10 points (real), and he doesn't even do the assignment, then I want his grade to be a 4. This is a failing grade, but at least it is a grade that will show in the gradebook and figure in his calculations. Our school doesn't allow zeroes, because they skew the final grades disproportionately.

Can this be done? If so, how?

Thanks.

In reply to Doug Moody

Re: If a student doesn't make an attempt, what grade will he get?

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Similarly, I would like to have a default of 0 entered along with a standard comment "Nothing Submitted".  I figure that if the student is not going to send in anything that I should not even waste time giving a grade.

I figure that this would be useful with MOOCs.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

Currently this is not possible. The LAE Grader used to have a 'zerofill' icon but was removed when it stopped working right. A number of people have asked for a generic fill icon that so a chosen number can be used for the fill but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

Bob,

I was thinking of a field that is in the assignments themselves. If, after a certain date, there is no activity, then the score would default to that field's number.

Of course, alternatively, you could put an autofill field in the grader, but it really would need to have an auto-triggering mechanism so that when a date or time happens, the autofill happens. Maybe as a CRON job?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

Yeah, I think this is an assignment issue/ need. Might try posting over there.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Doug,

Why 4? Shouldn't it be 0?

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Doug Moody -

Luis,

Because zeros on a scale where a 69 is an F will change the weight of a grade disproportionately. Think about it. If a 93 to 100 is an A, then anything in that range would be an A. Likewise, if the top score for an F is a 69, the bottom of an F ought to be about a 62. A zero skews that scale.