Choice tool Limits Not Working

Re: Choice tool Limits Not Working

by Ileana Bladé Mendoza -
Number of replies: 9

Happened to us today also. Extremely aggravating.

In reply to Ileana Bladé Mendoza

Atbilde: Re: Choice tool Limits Not Working

by Ilona Daģe -

We have the same problem. Is there some resolution?

Administrator see, that some choice is FULL, but students, haven't information about that and they still  can clik that choice, they all are active (ther's no information about full choice).

Administrator view

Administrator view

Student view

Students view

In reply to Ilona Daģe

Re: Atbilde: Re: Choice tool Limits Not Working

by David Campbell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have been following this problem for four years. We stopped using choice when there is a large number of students answering roughly simultaneously because the module seems to get overwhelmed and the limit gets ignored. We really want to use it for students to indicate a course preference, but it just isn't reliable for large numbers.

In reply to David Campbell

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear you had to stop using the module. I'm looking into this issue (https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-59046) at the moment and am wondering if you can recall whether your were setting up your choice activities in groups mode or not? I know that, as it stands, the behaviour of limits will differ if the activity is set up using 'separate groups'.  Any details of how you set up your choice activities would be very helpful in getting to the bottom of this one.

Best regards,
Jake
In reply to Jake Dallimore

by David Campbell -

Jake,

Thanks for looking into this. It was several years ago, but I still have the course where the choice was used so I checked. The group mode (no groups) and grouping (none). Our server at the time was much lower capacity and when a lot of students tried to access the site they got a lot of "time out" errors. Some also claimed their choice was not recorded. I still have the logs which I could send to you if you think that might help.

In reply to David Campbell

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks very much for the reply, David. That's great information! Looks like we can rule out the groups/grouping logic in your particular case. Another question: on which version of Moodle was this activity running? 

Regards,
Jake

by David Campbell -

We tried it over two years: 2013 and 2014 Japanese academic year. Looking at the version list it would have probably been 2.5 to 2.5.8. Because of the problems and other changes at the university we haven't used the choice module where a large number of students would be accessing the activity at the same time.

by David Campbell -

Jake,

I don't know if you are still looking into this problem, but I just used the choice module today and it was set to only two choices per option. The limit didn't work and one option had six people select it. This time separate groups was turned on and the students were allowed to update their choices. We are using Moodle 3.4.1+ (Build: 20180228) and the choice is build 2017111300. 

The one similarity to previous issues was the students (not a large number) were making choices roughly at the same time. I uploaded a screenshot of the logs that I exported. You can see the times when they made their choices. Choice id 313 was the one that was selected six times instead of being limited to 2.

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 15.26.30.png
In reply to Ilona Daģe

Atbilde: Re: Choice tool Limits Not Working

by Ilona Daģe -

I found a way to fix it, if in choice settings-->Common module settings--> Group mode, select "No groups", then there is no more problem.

In reply to Ilona Daģe

by Emory Maiden -

I can confirm this is still an issue in Moodle 3.4.4  and the "Groups" setting fix does seem to address the immediate problem.  However, we have many instructors using groups in their courses.

I do hope this issue will get some attention. Vote it up in Tracker if you have a moment: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-59046