Calendar months in English insted of the selected language

Calendar months in English insted of the selected language

by Sergiu Popa -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

Before posting I searched the forums and tried different things, but no luck so far. I have Moodle 2.6.1+ installed. I added several language packs but the calendar months and the date remain in English.

I read that the names of the months come from the system's locale, which in my case it's Ubuntu (en_EN). I have full access to this server and I added the locale, running these commands:

locale-gen es_ESlocale-gen es_ES.UTF-8
dpkg-reconfigure locales
service apache2 reload

To test, I execute locale -a. The output:

C
C.UTF-8
en_AG
en_AG.utf8
en_AU.utf8
en_BW.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_DK.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_HK.utf8
en_IE.utf8
en_IN
en_IN.utf8
en_NG
en_NG.utf8
en_NZ.utf8
en_PH.utf8
en_SG.utf8
en_US.utf8
en_ZA.utf8
en_ZM
en_ZM.utf8
en_ZW.utf8
es_ES
es_ES.iso88591
es_ES.utf8
POSIX
ro_RO
ro_RO.iso88592
ro_RO.utf8

Spanish is in there, but Moodle still prints the month's name in English.

I need some help figuring this out. Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sergiu Popa

Re: Calendar months in English insted of the selected language

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Sergiu,

I had the exact same problem recently on one of our new servers. I was going to recommend adding the locale language pack to the server using the following command but it sounds like you already have it installed:

sudo apt-get install language-pack-XX

... where XX is the language code you want to install.

What made it worse was the fact that the calendar seemed to appear in the correct language on some pages and not on others. Yet the exact same code on another server worked perfectly.

Anyway, it turned out to be some kind of caching issue which was resolved by just waiting 24 hours. Have you tried restarting the operating system instead of just Apache?

Best regards,

Michael Milette

In reply to Michael Milette

Re: Calendar months in English insted of the selected language

by Sergiu Popa -

I restarted the server, also I executed again apt-get install language-pack-es but Moodle still shows the calendar months in English. I'm filling an issue in the tracker. Thank you