Assignment grading sloooooow

Assignment grading sloooooow

by dan attwood -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

I have two Moodles that I manage - both running 2.6.1+ on Ubuntu 12.04 with Mysql

On one when I go the assignments> view grading it's very slow to load, upto a minute is some cases

With the other one clicking the view grading link causes Moodle to lock up completely - no one can login or move around the site. Restarting apache2 brings the site back to life. What's really odd  here is that apachetop, mytop, htop and the mysql slow queries log don't show anything in particular happening when the site locks up. 

Is someone able to give me some pointers on things I can look at top try and solve this please.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dan attwood

Re: Assignment grading sloooooow

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I can't offer any specific advice for that particular page, but a generic way of working out why a page is taking so long to load is to use a tool called xhprof. It is pretty technical and designed for developers only, but can give a lot of information about what is going on.

It's light enough to run in the background on a live site (but preferably not enabled all the time) and instructions for setting it up can be found at:

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Setting_up_xhprof_on_Moodle

you can also find helpful instructions at:

http://tjhunt.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/performance-testing-moodle.html

In reply to Davo Smith

by dan attwood -

I actually just fixed this on the server that was locking up.

I took a look at the syslog on an off chance and saw  a whole bunch of errors like:

warning: mail_queue_enter: create file maildrop/106333.1850: Permission denied

So I  chmod'd the folder to correct the permissions and now the problem has gone away.

The machine I'm using is a VM clone of another machine so perhaps the permissions were screwed as part of the cloning. If can't think for the life of my though why a postfix error would stop the assignment grid from working. 

In reply to dan attwood

by Robin Schröder -

Hi dan attwood,

i have the same problem with slow Assignment sad in moodle 2.6.1+

Can u tell me, how i can check my syslog? I also u untuntu and apache.

I would be very interested in a little bit more explained solution smile

greeetings from germany,
Robin