Don't restore before you install Hotpot module

Don't restore before you install Hotpot module

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 1

Everybody else probably already knows this, but I have to learn things the hard way

When you create a new Moodle instance and restore a course into it, do not restore until after you have installed the Hotpot module into Moodle. If you do, the Hotpot quizzes will not appear in your course. They will not even appear in the list of course contents during the restore process.

That means, if you restore a course and the Hotpots don't restore, verify that you installed the Hotpot module in Moodle before restoring.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Don't restore before you install Hotpot module

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for sharing your experience Gerald. It's an vital lesson to learn!

In my case I have made a list of which plugins I want to install on a new Moodle site, including the HotPot and TaskChain modules, and put the list into a Unix shell script. For each plugin, I add in the URL of the git repository (on github.com) where the latest version of the plugin is stored. Then when I run the script, it will automatically fetch not only the Moodle core, but all the plugins too.

I have a similar script for updating the Moodle site. When it runs, it will update the Moodle core and all the plugins - while I am having a coffee break !

These two scripts have saved me hours of time.

Like you, I learned the hard way wink