Essential theme - how to edit header color

Essential theme - how to edit header color

by mark soliman -
Number of replies: 22
I'd like to change the background color of the header while using the essential theme. So, instead of the textured background that comes with the theme by default, I want to use a plain colored background. I still want to use the site logo and social media icons I know this is probably very easy to do - just can find the right spot to make the changes. Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mark soliman

Re: Essential theme - how to edit header color

by Floyd Saner -

Mark,

I presume you mean the very top header bar.  I use the following in the custom css setting for the theme:

#page-header {background:none; background-color:#445588;}

floyd

In reply to mark soliman

by mark soliman -

Because of issues with an older version of the Essential theme, I've had to upgrade and this CSS modification broke (meaning, the header area color has now reverted to the default). I think the issue is because the CSS header that's being called is:

#page-header {background:none; background-color:#2E4360;}

But, in the newer version of Essential, I have chosen to stick with the "Old Navbar" style. I've tried to input the following CSS code but it doesn't seem to work:

#page-header oldnavbar {background:none; background-color:#2E4360;}

If anyone (Mary?!) could help steer me in the correct direction to get the header recolored in the newest Essential version, that would be great!

Thanks!
In reply to mark soliman

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Try...

.navbar.oldnavbar {background:none; background-color:#2E4360;}
In reply to Mary Evans

by mark soliman -

Thanks Mary for the reply but it did not work. Any other thoughts?

In reply to mark soliman

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry Mark I dont have time to check this out as the menu bar in the version I am using is different than the old navbar.

So can I suggest to do as I told the user in this post...

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=263830&parent=1143615

that of using FireBug to find the CSS you need. There is a link to a tutorial in that forum thread.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to mark soliman

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Like Mary I don't have your version of Essential installed at the moment but from your post I'd say there is an error in your css anyway

#page-header .oldnavbar {background:none; background-color:#2E4360;}

In reply to mark soliman

by mark soliman -

thanks guys... i've been playing with this all day, and seemingly have become well versed in using firebug to look for css class tags (something i never knew was possible, and a very nice tool to use!). unfortunately, none of the css codes i'm using are working correctly, no matter the syntax i use.

i would be happy to use the "new" navbar but when it's in the mobile view, it actually doesn't extend all the way out to the left side of the screen.

yet another sleepless night.

thanks anyway for your help!

In reply to mark soliman

by Mary Evans -

#page-header.oldnavbar {background:none; background-color:#2E4360;}

Sorry this took so long, I have just been looking in the CSS for something else and saw that in essential.css

So it pays to go searching your theme...smile

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Alessandro Nisticò -

Hi

I  am using Moodle 2.9.3 (Build: 20151109) with the Essential theme v. 2.9.1.4.1

following the advice in this thread, I tried to change the background of the header in my Moodle site.

I found out that the style responsible for the background image in the header is the following:

I put this line in Custom CSS:

#page-header {background-image: none;}

but the background image is still displayed.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Alessandro

In reply to Alessandro Nisticò

by Richard Oelmann -

Different Moodle version, but same Essential - works fine for me

You could try

#page-header {background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0) url("") repeat scroll 0 0;}

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Alessandro Nisticò -

I realized that the problem was a wrongly closed comment line (=/ instead of */).  Both your solution and mine work just fine.

Thanks

Alessandro

In reply to Alessandro Nisticò

by Richard Oelmann -

Yep, unclosed comments will do it every time smile

Glad you found the cause. Thanks for posting back - its always helpful when someone can confirm what the error was and if/how it was fixed/resolved as it saves Gareth (or whoever else with whatever theme etc) from spending time investigating. Yes

In reply to mark soliman

by mark soliman -

i should probably go back to my original issue and see if you guys can resolve it - i'm running essential 2.6 on moodle 2.6... site was working perfectly but all of a sudden, when i click on "turn editing on" i am unable to move any blocks by dragging and dropping...

through all the research i've done, it seems that it's a theme related issue. i cloned my site and have been testing all of this, and what i'm finding is that the new version of essential's "new nav bar" has issues not scaling to the entire page width when viewed on a mobile device... this crazy loop of issues has driven me back to the forums to seek guidance.

any ideas of simply how i can get the blocks to move correctly in my original essential plugin install?!

thanks in advance to everyone!

In reply to mark soliman

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If the drag and drop does not work then JavaScript is broken.  Use browser development tools (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Web_development_tools) which has a 'console' to show any errors to screen shot them and post here for more advice.  You may have to reload the page with the console open.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by mark soliman -

turns out there are some errors... let me know if i got the correct data for you! thanks a lot

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 6.06.43 AM.png
In reply to mark soliman

by mark soliman -

found some more errors... i'm seeing some errors as the theme calls the fontawesome font - do you think this could be the issue?

let me know what you guys think! thanks to all in advance!

Attachment errors.png
In reply to mark soliman

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the screen shots.  They are useful.  The jQuery issue is an odd one.  Have you got the TurnitIn plugin installed?

The FontAwesome issue does need fixing in CSS to use the theme and not the filter (or the filter needs fixing - for which there is an outstanding pull request of mine I think on Julian's repository to fix it).  It will not break JS, just not show the font.  But I suspect that if the icons are showing, then the errors are for the filter and the font is loaded by the theme.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by mark soliman -

thanks a lot gareth for the reply!

no, i do not have the TurnitIn plugin installed... Should I? Is that something you would recommend to install to help fix the issue?

as far as the font - the entirety of the site displays fontawesome correctly and without issue, thus i feel you are correct that this is likely not a font related issue.

any other thoughts as to what i should try?

thanks again for your help!

In reply to mark soliman

by Gareth J Barnard -

No, the TurnitIn plugin currently has a jQuery issue that is being fixed that could be the reason.

I don't have a solution as would need to see if I can replicate on a Moodle 2.6 installation with the version of the theme you are using.  Can anybody else replicate?

In reply to mark soliman

by David Bezemer -

Version 2.6 has an error in the config.php which means that drag and drop breaks because of that.
The errors you see because of fontawesome are from the fontawesome filter I think.

In the next release that will happen this week FontAwesome loading in the theme is reverting back to the theme option.
Also which device does not have a wide navbar? I have an iPad right next to me, and the navbar is stretched all the way.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)