Just submitted a readability analysis filter to Moodle.org plugins repository

Just submitted a readability analysis filter to Moodle.org plugins repository

by Matt Bury -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers!

I've just submitted a readability analysis filter to Moodle.org plugins repository for approval.

It analyses text using one of 6 popular readability analysis algorithms and prints out the results at the bottom of the text, with a link to the respective Wikipedia.org page explaining what it is and what it does.

It's useful for monitoring the complexity of language people use, particularly teachers who sometimes have a tendency to write overly complex and difficult to read comments. It might also encourage learners to "join up" their ideas and relate them to each other in longer sentences, e.g. using conjunctions and clauses.

When/if it's approved, it'll be available at: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=filter_readability

If you can't wait and want to see it now, it's also on my Github.com repo: https://github.com/matbury/filter_readability

I hope you find it useful smile

Average of ratings: Very cool (6)
In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Just submitted a readability analysis filter to Moodle.org plugins repository

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Used readability in MS Word for years and thought it really helped students improve their writing. Was glad I found this and have been using the github version for about a month now.

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Just submitted a readability analysis filter to Moodle.org plugins repository

by Matt Bury -

Hi Al,

Glad it's been useful to you. Recently, I've changed it a little bit; the results are now in highlighted text at the end of the analysed text, instead of a div floated to the top-right, so that it's more mobile/small screen friendly. Simpler too.

Haakon Meland Eriksen also contributed a Norwegian translation smile Unfortunately, there aren't any Wikipedia.org pages in Norwegian for the corresponding readability algorithms, so English will have to do for those.

If anyone wants to contribute other translations, they'd be very welcome. The English language strings are here: https://github.com/matbury/filter_readability/blob/master/readability/lang/en/filter_readability.php

The algorithms should work more or less accurately with western European Latin alphabet languages. I don't know about other scripts, e.g. Cyrillic,  though. Maybe?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Matt,

Regarding the string translations into other languages, I suggest it would be better (i.e. would save time) to wait until your plugin has been accepted in the Moodle plugin repository and then do the translations using AMOS as usual.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Matt Bury -

Thanks Joseph! smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by Nicholas Bovee -

Neat!

Questions of "accuracy" aside, it seems to be working fine on 2.6  However, it's analyzing a lot of things I don't want it to analyze. It's popping up everywhere!

Is there any way to limit analysis to just the forum posts, for example?

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Nicholas Bovee

by Matt Bury -

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, good point. Would be nice to select where it appears. In the meantime, you can set the minimum string length longer in the readability module settings page so it only appears with longer texts.

Thanks for the feedback! smile