Automated backup quandry

Automated backup quandry

by Nyle Landas -
Number of replies: 2

Ok, I have Moodle run an automated course backup M-F. It had been running through without errors at night when we don't have active users. However, I've just started receiving dual emails -

the first email reports

JLMOODLE: [ERROR] Automated backup status
Unfinished; 1
Some of your courses weren't saved!!

the second email reports
JLMOODLE: Automated backup status
Backup completed successfully

The emails are received are received at the exact same time down to the second. When I check the logs by clicking the link - which is the same in both emails it reports OK on all courses.

The folder has the correct number of files but they are all different dates.I have skip courses not modified set to never, keep set to 1, and skip courses not modified since previous backup set to no. So shouldn't the dates all be the same on the mbz files?

Any advice is appreciated. Perhaps, after I tar and copy the files to my remote backup server, I should just delete the ones in the Moodle server's backup folder?

Thanks,
-Nyle

LMOODLE: Automated backup status

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nyle Landas

Re: Automated backup quandry

by Nyle Landas -

Does anyone have an idea of what is causing the two emails? One email stating a single course error in backup and the other reporting that all courses backed up successfully?

It appears the backup fails, it immediately runs again and succeeds.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

In reply to Nyle Landas

Re: Automated backup quandry

by Stephen Bloomer -

Looks to me like the Cron job has a maximum time to run, finishing the backup job with work still ourstanding and then the next time the Cron job runs it finishes the remaining backup and gives the backup complete email