Adding a file upload field for teacher when creating an assignment

Adding a file upload field for teacher when creating an assignment

by Ashish Jain -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

Is it possible for teacher to upload word file when creating activity. In our LMS, teacher generally prepare a case study in word and expects users to download it fill the same doc sheet and upload back, and based on it teacher will provide the grade. Assignment seems to be best, but here teacher doesn't have option to upoad a doc file. So, is there a way to enable it or is there any other activity through which it can be achieved.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ashish Jain

Re: Adding a file upload field for teacher when creating an assignment

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Upload the Word file as normal to the course page. Then in the assignment description provide a link to it.

In reply to Ashish Jain

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I believe that having a file (such as your DOC) embedded into the assignment description works pretty well and it's quite common. No need to have it as extra resource in the course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Good point David - it does indeed work fine that way. Just that I've always done it in a way that students have been able to download the various documents and resources separately from the assignment itself, so had them as separate files and just added the link into the text of the assignment description smile

In reply to David Mudrák

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, from experience I disagree - most of our assignment descriptions are uploaded as files *only*, but uploading the files into a text area is something rather unintuitive for users (plus possibly deleting it from there again, etc.) and in fact I know none of our users who does it this way. (They currently use a file upload area that I provided as a custom plugin to Assignment 2.2.)

Note that MDL-39929 , which asks for exactly this feature, has 19 votes currently.

(Edit: Note also that this forum - as mod_forum in general of course - provides an "attachment" area separate to the text area. I guess there was a reason behind!)