Quiz

How do we make the quiz "open book" or "open notes"?

Picture of Wendi Daniels
How do we make the quiz "open book" or "open notes"?

I have searched, and I don't see it. I need the authenticated users to be able to review the notes while they take the test. Please advise.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: How do we make the quiz "open book" or "open notes"?
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hello Wendi. Which book or  notes do you mean you want them to be able to open/review?

Picture of Wendi Daniels

The course material. I want them to see the course material on which they are being tested.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Depending on what the course material is - perhaps you could either include it inside the quiz itself (in a description for example) if it is a text document or other, or else you could  perhaps get the URLs of the items from the course page and add them as links in a description - or else you could inform them in the quiz summary that they should have two tabs open - one with the quiz and one with the course page.

Picture of Wendi Daniels

They are 6-hour courses, so I cannot have the course material in the quiz itself. What I want to try to do is have the authenticated user be able to open the different course sections to view them during the quiz. Does anyone out there know if there a way to do that, rather than opening two browsers? I would rather the site look more professional than that...

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I don't get the problem. Students can open a new browser window and access anything they want, can't they?

Picture of Wendi Daniels

Certainly. They can listen to a song on youtube if they want to. They can open all the browsers they would like. However, it would seem more professional if they did not NEED to, so I am hoping to find a way to circumvent that, so it looks more professional.

Thanks again for your response regarding the analogy of the lamps!  smile

Picture of Marcus Green
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Circumvent what?

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, we could have a whole debate along the lines of effectively finding what you want on the web is a key information literacy skill, and should be part of any education, but that is about as much fun as arguing about whether to deduct marks for misspelling words in an essay.

One way you might be able to do what you want is to add a HTML block to the attempt quiz page, and in that block, but a list of links to the resources that students are most likely to need to refer to during the exam.

Picture of Marcus Green

I have placed links to resources within the text of questions and in the hint area in the past to give students links to resources. I set them to pop up a new browser instance so the students stay on the quiz. I have no evidence that the students have clicked on the links however.

Picture of Wendi Daniels

Thank you to both of you - I will try those ideas tomorrow when I am more awake!  smile

Picture of dawn alderson

Wendi, hi

Have just had a look at a couple of courses that have played with this idea somewhat.  If the aim is to stay in Moodle and wish to avoid opening other browsers, then some ideas follow, not ideal, but maybe helpful.

1. I saw the use of word and PDF links to docs/essential text- contained in folders...so all clicky stuff that can be held on the footbar (you may not call it this-but am sure you know what I mean wink) ...while the user can complete the quiz on screen.

2. A further innovative idea might be based on another course I saw that included the required text/chapter etc in a word doc with the quiz questions typed underneath the text or PDF of larger/longer texts, so  practise questions ...and so the practise session could be assimilated with the 'real' quiz on the screen.

From a teacher's perspective, and my understanding...could be wrong...this does appear to support the notion of self-checking as a self-learning resource, but not necessarily checking knowledge-you know seeking right or wrong outcomes, but rather, the learning is in the practise-to consolidate the knowledge...very popular in language courses, I am led to believe.

hh

Dawn

Picture of Don Hinkelman

Most of my quizzes are open book.  Since we use an actual paper book, it is rather easy to manage, and very "professional".  smile