How can I update Essential theme?

How can I update Essential theme?

by Dave Goh -
Number of replies: 11

Split from main discussion...

How to update this theme?
Site administration / Plugins / Plugins overview / Install ,  returns me the following error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /mdeploy.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Is there any manually update process?

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Monday, 26 August 2013, 11:35 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Goh

Re: Essential theme - 2.5.3 released

by Roberto Dummer -

I am having the same problem, did you solved this?

In reply to Roberto Dummer

Re: Essential theme - 2.5.3 released

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This depends on how you installed this theme in the first place. If you installed it dynamically using the built in theme (add-on) installer, then you should be able to uninstall it in much the same way.

if you manually installed it, by physically putting the 'Essential' theme into the theme directory in you Moodle install on your web server, then you need to update in the same way.

To do this you need to follow these instructions...

1. As Admin put your site into Maintenance mode.
  2. Remove the Essential theme from the theme directory on your Moodle server, and replace it with an up-to-date version of the essential theme.
  3. Still logged in as Admin go to Site administration > Notifications and you should see a Plugins check page appear. Follow the instructions on that page.
  4. When the theme is installed successfully you can disable Maintenance mode.

if none of these methods proved usefull then please give me as much information as to what problems you are facing and how you have tried to remedy these problems?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Dave Goh

Re: How can I update Essential theme?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Empty post...

In reply to Mary Evans

by Brian Peat -

I have the same problem after moving my site to a new server. The permissions look correct, but I get that error when I try to update ANYTHING in moodle with the 1 click update system. That link you posted just gives me an error message "Can not find data record in database table forum_discussions."

In reply to Brian Peat

by Mary Evans -

OK...that other post got deleted or changed...but was nothing to do with this.

What you need to do is change theme to Clean theme, and then remove Essential from your server using...

Site Administration > Plugins > Plugins overview

Scroll to the bottom of that page and find the Essential theme and Uninstall it. This deletes the settings related to this theme but you may have to remove the theme manually when prompted.

Then get a new updated version and install it.

https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_elegance/archive/master.zip

In reply to Mary Evans

by Brian Peat -

The thing is, I get this error no matter what theme I'm loaded on, and for every update available (not just theme updates). I can't use the 1 click update for anything at all on this site. It's really frustrating.

In reply to Brian Peat

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Then this is not a theme issue and although the permissions may look ok, I would suggest that that is probably where the problem lies

In reply to Brian Peat

by Mary Evans -

What version of Moodle are you using? It might be in your best interest to trash this site and start over.

There was a poblem in Moodle that triggered that error message in this forum some time ago, and from memory was an AJAX /JavaScript problem which as since been fixed. 

So perhaps you need to choose the best version for the server that you are using. There again some servers have problems of their own, and nothing to do with Moodle. In most cases thes sort of problems get sorted but are frustrating nevertheless.

Can I ask what platform your server is running on? Linux? Windows? Unix? 

In reply to Mary Evans

by Brian Peat -

I finally made a ticket with our web host after reading a bunch of posts on this. Here's their response:

"There were two different WAF rules blocking the plugin updater."

So it's fixed now. It's nice to have 1 click updates back. 

Now if only Moodle would do that for the core like Joomla and Wordpress do, life would be all that much better smile

Thanks!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Brian Peat -

It's CentOS/Cpanel on Rochen. It's a large virtual cloud server. I'm running Moodle 2.6.2 (Build: 20140310), but as it turns out none of that was the issue, it was their security settings.