Two general questions about upgrading

Two general questions about upgrading

by Ronald de Caluwé -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there,

Just did an upgrade to Moodle 2.6.2. Followed all steps from this page (http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Upgrading) and everything went well.

Nevertheless two questions came up:

1) What should I do with the Moodle data dir? Offcourse: copy it as a backup. I do not understand this: "Dont forget to also copy over your moodledata folder / directory. If you don't you will get a "fatal error $cfg- dataroot is not configured properly" 
The copying can not prevent this fatal error to appear, does it? I am a bit confused and would to understand what can be done with the data dir, apart from putting it back and not updating, in case something might go wrong...

2) When I remove all Moodle files, a well known message "Forbidden, You don't have permission to access / on this server" appears. When re-uploading the new version, the install screens even appears during half a minute. I'd like to avoid the both. Any tips on this?

Thanks for taking the time to read and (hopefully) answer!

Have a nice day!

Ronald

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ronald de Caluwé

Re: Two general questions about upgrading

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

1) No, making a backup copy of moodledata does not prevent an error. However, should an error occur during upgrade, you'll need that backup (along with the database and moodile php files) to restore the site.

2) I tend to use the command line to install my upgrades. That way the only time involved is in extracting the files from the archive. If you must use FTP to upload all the files, do it to a separate directory (or create a subdirectory for it), then when all the files are uploaded, you can move the old files out and move the new files in without significant delay. Clients like FileZilla allow you to do that with drag and drop.

In reply to Bret Miller

Re: Two general questions about upgrading

by Ronald de Caluwé -

Thx Bret!

I'll look into your command line suggestion, this sounds like a very good solution!

Have a nice day!