Grade based on points

Grade based on points

by Ken Russell -
Number of replies: 3

I haven't figured thsi one out as yet, I read through the FAQ but could not find an answer...

I grade student assignments based on points. Assignments can vary in their point value, most assignments are max 5 points but some may be max 15 points. The student's course grade is determined by the points they have earned by the total points possible for all course assignments.

I want students to be able to see their current grade at any time in the quarter, so their current points earned divided by the max value of all assignments up to that point. I have not been able to figure out how to show this value when they view there grades. Is there a way to do that? How would I set up the gradebook to show them their current grade based on these two vaules (current points earned divided by current total points possible)?

Thank you very much!

Ken Russell

In reply to Ken Russell

Re: Grade based on points

by Edward Burke -

The way we get around this is by initially making all assignments Extra Credit in the GBen using the "sum of Grades" option... then as the assignments are assigned we un-check the XC option.  That way the total points for the course expands as assignments are due and students have an accurate view of their grade at any given date.  Hope this helps

In reply to Edward Burke

by Ken Russell -

Edward, thanks for the tip. This question has really stumped me, I've read the docs and have never found a solution, which surprises me, i would think that this ability would be in the standard set of tools.

What are you referring to when you say "GBen"?

Thanks for your help.

Ken Russell
Bellingham Public Schools

In reply to Ken Russell

by Edward Burke -

That was a typo... it should have read set to extra credit in the gradebook WHEN using "sum of grades"...

sorry