Restore Problem

Restore Problem

by Dawn Wright -
Number of replies: 4

We're running 1.4.4+ and have just started experiencing restore problems. We get a "required parameter missing" message and the restore will not go forward.

Out of desperation, I tried to restore on our test 1.5 one of the courses that will not restore in 1.4.4+ and it restored.  I don't know if this gives a clue as to what is going on with restore, but I desparately need to be able to restore in 1.4.4+

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dawn Wright

Re: Restore Problem

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Dawn,

perhaps upgrading to 1.4.5+ would be a good idea. If your running version is 1.4.4+, perhaps you stopped upgrading in the middle of some internal modification (although it sounds really strange and I had never experienced such error, I think).

Too, you can try to enable "debug" to see if there are more info available about your error and, as a remote possibility, try to repair all your backup tables.

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Dawn Wright -
Thanks for the response. The problem is worse than I anticipated and we seem to be missing several courses too.  I'm hoping there is some way to "roll back" the database to an earlier time and recover the missing courses.
In reply to Dawn Wright

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Dawn,

so you are having problems in your 1.4 server? Have you tries to repair all the tables? What actions have you performed with the 1.4 version to miss some courses?

The only way to "rollback" the database is to have full DB backups of it (and the moodledata dir) at regular basis... sad

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Dawn Wright -

We repaired the db a couple of times and corrected most of the problems. I also found that I was on a bit of a wild goose chase in that three of the courses I thought were lost were really never on Moodle to begin with (we are moving about 600 courses from eCollege to Moodle).

But I did discover from this episode that we are not routinely backing up the database structure itself.  And I learned that the tape backup we were making each day is just about worthless for this purpose. We are getting that corrected ASAP - installing a automated db backup/archiving program so that we can roll back to a previous time period if needed. 

Thanks again for your suggestions. One of the great things about Moodle is the Moodle community.smile