Hiding an activity after its completion

Hiding an activity after its completion

by Deepak Gupta -
Number of replies: 12

Is it possible to hide an activity after it has been completed? Through code or through some custom plugins if at all available.?

Please do let me know.

Thanks,
Deepak

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deepak Gupta

Re: Hiding an activity after its completion

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Deepak,

What kind of activity??

You can define time frame in some activities where you restrict students from participating after certain time.

Aditya

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Deepak Gupta -

The activities I am using are -

a) URL - Students go through a URL
b) Quiz - Students go through a quiz
c) Files - students go through Word / excel documents.

How can we enforce that students don't go through these above activities once they get completed?

Thanks,
Deepak

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Deepak Gupta -

The activities I am using are -

a) URL - Students go through a URL
b) Quiz - Students go through a quiz
c) Files - students go through Word / excel documents.

How can we enforce that students don't go through these above activities once they get completed?

Thanks,
Deepak

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Deepak,

To be very frank I do not understand about URL and File completion. Both of them are used as reference in moodle so completion is bit difficult I feel. In case of Quiz you can set timing likewise this quiz is accessible between this date to this date also you can define time frame and attempts too. After these setting that quiz become unaccessible.

Regards,

Aditya

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Deepak Gupta -

Yes Aditya, that's true. We can make the settings for quiz etc.

But I need to hide the URL / file ones also..Any idea if it can be done through code or so?

Thanks,
Deepak

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Deepak,

I feel I got solution for you. Just visit:

Site administration > Advanced feature

and enable "Enable completion tracking" and "Enable conditional access" then add url/file. you got one option at the end "Restrict access". Configure it as your requirement.

Aditya

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Deepak Gupta -

That is already enabled smile

But unfortunately there is no setting that after viewing it should be disabled smile

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Even if it did exist... what would happen if the student got distracted, they had connection problems etc. etc.? 

They then cannot go back. That's a bit rubbish. In any case, they will quickly find out about this restriction and take a copy the first time. So there was no point going to all this trouble....

In reply to Howard Miller

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Deepak,

I feel it is not practical approach that once student access RESOURCE like URL or FILE, it hide himself. You have to give some time frame by restrict access and then inform your students that these resources are available from this date and time to this date and time. Once time passes it hide as we set "While access is prevented" as "Hide activity entirely....".

I dont think so it is good idea that student once access it disappear.

Think about it again.

Regards,

Aditya

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

I can't think of a way to do this without some custom coding. Once marked open by the access restrictions, it is open to that user. If it could then be closed again according to its completion criteria, that would do it.

It would make a great enhancement request. I can think of all sorts of ways to use it.

The main issue I can see with it is that, if a user completed something and it disappears, then there would be no way currently for a teacher or admin to get it back if that happened by mistake, especially in case of manual completion. The ability to manage that would need to be added too.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Susan Fleming -

Hello Randy

We are at ver. 2.4.5 and if you are using the Restrict Access option of an assignment to let students into an assignment, then you can include an end date/time.  If you set the "Before Activity can be Accessed" to " Hide Activity Entirely", then the activity will disappear from student view once the date/time is past.

In reply to Deepak Gupta

by Philipp Pavelka -

I am also curious about this. 

I have created multiple Feedback activities, one surveying student's satisfaction on another activity.  

But I don't want to spam the student's course view with many completed feedback activities, so I'd like to hide them after a student has completed it. 

Anyone got a clue how to achieve this?