using the + symbol in an answer to a question

using the + symbol in an answer to a question

by Val Brooks -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,
I'm trying to write a lesson and on one of my pages, I'm using the 'short answer' question. The response needs to be 'n + 1' but when I try the lesson and write that in, it says I am wrong. When I do this in a quiz, it will accept the + sign but it doesn't seem to here. Any ideas please? I actually have tried doing a quiz instead but the way I want to teach this means I want to use the lesson!
Thanks
Val
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Val Brooks

Re: using the + symbol in an answer to a question

by Mark Nielsen -
I just tried this in moodle 1.5 and it worked fine.

Couple of ideas for why it might be telling you that your wrong:

'n+1' is different from 'n + 1' as far as short answer is concerned.

Also, with custom grading off, correct answers must jump to a page further down in the lesson.  With custom grading on, correct answers must have a score greater than 0.

Hope this helps,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Val Brooks -
Many thanks - we have just upgraded to 1.5 and yes - it seems to work now. I appreciate the difference between the two answers - I had allowed for both but previously neither had been accepted. It looks like 1.5 has sorted it for me.
Thanks again
Val
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Ray Lawrence -
With custom grading on, correct answers must have a score greater than 0.

Hi Mark,

I was working with this earlier, I couldn't get a correct answer to register if the custom grade was less than 1 e.g. 0.2.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Mark Nielsen -
The database only holds integers (whole numbers) for the scores right now.  I think that your 0.2 is being stored as a 0 and that is why it's being graded as incorrect.  This should be changed in the future.

Cheers,
Mark
In reply to Mark Nielsen

by Ray Lawrence -
Thanks Mark. Should this be logged as a bug / feature request?

As far as I'm concerned whole numbers are fine for this - I asked the question really to clarify my understanding.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Mark Nielsen -
Perhaps as a feature request.  Technically, whole numbers are all that anyone needs because you can set the maxgrade for the lesson to whatever you like.  But, some users may want the flexibility.