Footer in pages module

Re: Footer in pages module

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Deborah - Im not trying to be awkward, Im trying to get you the help you want.

You say you were treated badly on LinkedIn - that's not my recollection of the discussion! You were asked for information about the issue and referred those asking to your ex without giving any details yourself.

Community driven forums are there to help and are full of people for whom that is their reason for being here. BUT, those people need information to work on to help you rather than a generic, 'help I don't know what I'm doing'.

They also rely on people following a variety of rules for forum posting - call it etiquette, rather than rules if you like - such as not hijacking other discussions for something unrelated to the original thread and not scattering your posts across multiple discussions.

It is straightforward in these forums to start your own thread with your own information and needs in order to ask for specific help.

At the moment the only conclusion I have been able to draw from your posts on here and previously on LinkedIn is that you can't manage your Joomla/Moodle website, you want someone to teach you how/do it for you, but you want them not to charge you for it because your business will fold without the help.

Deborah, Im not trying to be difficult or to treat you 'badly' but to suggest how to ask for the help you want in ways that are more likely to get you the results you need.

So - can I suggest:

1. Make a new thread in an appropriate forum, rather than tacking onto someone else's discussion

2. Tell us how your site is currently structured - Moodle (what version), Joomla (what version) how are they linked now (Joomdle etc) or are they two separate sites at teh moment and you want to link them?

3. What EXACTLY do you need/want to be able to do and what are the problems you are having - if there are many of them, break it down - different community members are experts in different areas and between us all can provide help for just about anything you need, if we know what that need is.

4. Bear in mind that you are the one asking - community volunteers dont then want to be told to contact a third party for the information - if the third party wants the help they need to ask for it, if you want the help, you really need to be prepared to give the information the helpers need. If the third party controls the website (as seemed to be the implication in the LinkedIn discussion) and doesn't want the help, there is nothing/very little anyone in this community can do.

If what you are really after is a volunteer to look after your site then come out and say that - there may well be someone around who is prepared to do exactly that for a good cause, many of us do for various charities, friends' businesses and so on. But what you will definitely find is a supportive community who bend over backwards to help people - but you have to give some direction for that help in the first place!

I hope that, along with Emma's offer, can help you start to find the help you obviously are desperate for.

Richard