Assignment Grading LInk does not select correct group

Assignment Grading LInk does not select correct group

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We have a teacher that is assigned to multiple groups.  When he receives a submitted assignment link, clicking on the link to the assignment takes him to the the assignment grading page but do a default group which the student is not a member of.  The teacher is then confused because the student is not listed and does not have the time to look through multiple groups to find the student.  Is there a way to resolve this other than giving him access to all groups (which has other undesired consequences)?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Assignment Grading LInk does not select correct group

by Velson Horie -

The better alternative would be for the marker to be presented at login with only those assignments (and quizzes) which need to be marked by him.  At the moment, the marker is presented with a cascade of menus, courses, course work and students, most of which have nothing to do with the marking task.  These barriers to efficient working are a major downside to using Moodle.

I spend what seems like hours each week (probably only 1/2 hour - but the frustration!) checking the menus for work that has been submitted - through lists of assignments and quizzes that have already been marked or which have not yet been submitted. For the tutor, it is actually quicker and more efficient to use paper and the postal system, but worse for the student.

Moodle has not been designed with work flow of the tutor in mind and it shows.

In reply to Velson Horie

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There are already a number of blocks available to add this functionality to the user MyHome page, such as the Ajax Marking block and others.

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_ajax_marking

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_fn_marking

You add the block to your 'My' Page and it will show you all the assignments you need to mark. You can even make the My page the user default home page when they log in if required.

The workflow of the tutor may be different in different situations/institutions, and while it may not be perfect,  Moodle does provide alternatives to allow you to customise the features and add plugins to make it better for your particular situation if you can get your admins to add the relevant plugins to your system.

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Understood but the default system should be designed to be more effective.  I think that it would not take much to have links go directly to a list of assignments needed to be graded by that specific teacher.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Velson Horie -

Unfortunately, my hosting site will rarely add anything that is not part of the core functionality of Moodle.  I think that they cannot afford to support anything that has not been fully investigated by the Moodle community. So as these tools are not part of Moodle, they are not part of the Moodle they will provide.

Thank you for pointing out that what I want is possible.  I look forward to the time when such tools are integrated into Moodle.  My suggestion (to make it flexible) is that it should be possible to show a table summarising all the potentially submitted items. The tutor/teacher would then customise that table to show what was required for a particular application.  The criteria (row/columns) might be date of submission, course, student, group, assignment, quiz, question, discussion, marker etc. Then the tutor on logging in would click on the cell/row/column requiring attention to go to the list for action.  My need is to have a list in one place of all the quizzes and assignments that have been submitted and not marked, omitting everything else.