BLOCKER: Elegance- Slide Show Settings

Re: BLOCKER: Elegance- Slide Show Settings

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I added BLOCKER thinking Julian would pick up on it and answer you but didn't.

However the problem has been fixed. Have you updated the theme?

This is the latest that has the fix for the slideshow.

https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_elegance/archive/master.zip

Turn Theme Designer Mode OFF and Purge all cache

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Sui Andrade -

Mary,

I'm using the last version, but the slideshow still shows problemas if I set more than 4 slides.

Do you have any idea to fix this?

Thank you very much for your help!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Daniel B -

I too am still having an issue with misaligned slides.

The timing issue i had in earlier version seems to be fixed, but slides are still misaligned.

Each slide past the first seems to indent further by the same amount, so the 6th slide is for all purposes invisible as its indented so far to the right as to completely hide it.

I have 6 slides with 3 lines of text and <br/> as line breaks, just bg colour for now.

I have updated all components/plugins, purged all caches, no theme designer mode.

I have noticed that this happens when my window is maximised, and on resize it appears to fix it.

After resizing, even if i maximize again it appears to align all slides.

Without resize, slides were misaligned even navigating to different slides ahead of timer or that already displayed.

However, if the window is not resized, the issue persists even if the slideshow is left running for X minutes, though i have noticed sometimes it seems to be fixed when i looked at it again, but i believe i must have minized that window or moved it breifly before returning it using windows snap.

In reply to Daniel B

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't know it it is relevant, but <br/> is XHTML markup it should be <br> as of Moodle 2,5 we are using HTML 5 <!DOCTYPE HTML> in all Bootstrap themes.

Tha aside, I can't remember what the Slider is in Elegance theme, but if I am correct it could be to do with the CSS for each slide as the number of slides each slide takes up 100% of the width of the screen so with 6 slides in the UL this means the width of the UL needs to be 600%.  Originally I think the slider was set for only three slides. But then again I may be wrong?

As the slider always been like this, or is it something you have changed that may have causued it to work incorrectly?

I honestly cannot see it being published as an updated theme if the slider isn't working!

Perhaps you need to Purge all cache?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Schwarz -

The Julian Riddle and Danny Wahl version use unslider (http://unslider.com/) and has percentages hard-coded in the slideshow.php file. This could be causing the issue that you're having (it's happened to others as well).

My answer was to replace unslider with the Bootstrap 3 carousel (http://getbootstrap.com/examples/carousel/) and edit slideshow.php to render with the new carousel while keeping the same settings.

My file is attached, and a discussion about installing/replacing slideshow.php (as well as thoughts on the process) is here. The only downside I've come across with using the BS3 carousel is that it doesn't include responsive text (while Unslider had text that increased/decrease size when certain viewport widths were hit). I'm looking at adding that.

Also worth a look is Gareth's slider from Essential which adds a whole heap of cool features - I'm currently looking at rewriting for BS3 (it's in Bootstrap 2).

In reply to Richard Schwarz

by Mary Evans -

Hi, Thanks for the info, I've just read your comment. I've spent the last 6 hours rewriting this trying to make it automatic and less hardcoded settings in the slider.

I have the unslider working fine in a bogstandard html page, with six images and works in perfect condition.

So getting back to the Elegance slider there are some strange things going on that after a while made me feel seasick with the rolling and shifting of images, which brought me to the conclusion it is not the unslider that is the problem but the way in which Julian first put it together.

I think I will strip it back to its bare bones and rebuild it just for self satisfaction. LOL

The Essential Slider is the Carousel and has got lots of cool features with it.

Cheers

Mary