LTI compliant tool for medical/veterinary case studies

LTI compliant tool for medical/veterinary case studies

by Carolyn O'Brien -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I teach a distance education course to graduate vets and I am looking to increase the interactivity of my course by adding in online activities for my participants. I'd love to be able to use real-life case studies where the participant is presented with a clinical scenario and then prompted to answer a series of questions. These are not necessarily marked, they will just present a model answer to the participant, so not really something that is suitable to create in a Moodle quiz, but I presume this sort of thing could be embedded into the course via a LTI-compliant website?

Does anyone know if such an external tool exists? If not, how would I go about getting someone to design it for me?

Regards,

Carolyn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carolyn O'Brien

Re: LTI compliant tool for medical/veterinary case studies

by dawn alderson -

Carolyn, hello

Have come across online courses in medicine/of a clinical nature and other professional development/vocational training courses, all of which have included something along the lines of what you have outlined in your post.

So, as I understand it you are aiming to increase interactivity with a focus on the following:

1. Real-life case studies/clinical scenario

2. Question-type responses of a qualitative/narrative nature (so rules out quiz-yes?)

3. Wish to explore LTI compliant software

So some thoughts:

1. This can be linked with 3....dependent on site access (e.g. Vet's practice), the following might be useful ideas to create your case studies:

* Adobe visual communicator (head and shoulders delivery-not much diff from teacher face to face but if practitioner from related professional site-can be useful)

* Animoto-  can create a video slideshow

* Camtasia-video production

* Go animate-animation presentation (can be useful for lack of site access)

AND OF COURSE THERE IS Poodll.com set of plug-ins for audio/image/video stuff

2. to support understanding/consolidate knowledge with a narrative underpinning....in moodle docs you will find the details for activities such as forum, journal entries, assignment, workshop among other stuff that will enhance such engagement-there is an external tool feature too.

Hope helpful

Dawn 

In reply to dawn alderson

by Carolyn O'Brien -

Thanks for the suggestions, Dawn.

Regards,

Carolyn

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Do you already have the content and questions you need?  If yes, have you looked at Moodle Lessons? That seems on the surface to have a lot of what you want, and via LTI you can offer the course to non-Moodle organisations.

In reply to Brian Merritt

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

ps - most of the content tools Dawn mentions can be used with a Lesson Page.  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brian Merritt

by Carolyn O'Brien -

Thanks Brian - I am looking at the Lesson options too.

regards,

Carolyn

by Itamar Tzadok -

If automated marking is not a required component you can try the Dataform module which allows you to design the layout of the response form and also include in the form elements for peer review (comments and ratings) if desired. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by dawn alderson -

Itamar, hi

I like the look of that slider in the dataform module-I also like the functionality in that the commentary box is very useful.....I am sure I didn't see this feature there when I last looked cool

really nice.

Cheers,

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Itamar Tzadok -

Thanks! That gallery involves javascript and the activity requires some set up. But then it can be distributed as a preset which reduces the setup to a click of a button. smile