Replacing files within a created TaskChain

Replacing files within a created TaskChain

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 7

Hi Gordon,

This is a continuation of the subset of the already long discussion started by Deborah:https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=254906  It was getting confusing following the threads.

I updated both the HotPot and TaskChain modules today.

After creating a TaskChain with four HotPots where the TaskChain automatically decided the order based on how the HotPots are numbered, I made a duplicate of the first HotPot under a different file name. I edit that first task via this window:

After uploading this new file and setting it as the main file for task 1 and saving changes, it still reverts back to the original main file.

I tried another scenario where I added the new file set it as main and then deleted the original final so that there was no way for it to return  to it. In this case it came up with a file not found error.

If there is some other approach is necessary, let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: Replacing files within a created TaskChain

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jeff,
sorry to be slow, but I can't follow your explanation. Could I reword it and check with you that I understand the situation.

You made a TaskChain activity containing 4 tasks. The "Edit tasks" page for the TaskChain is shown in the screenshot. You wanted to change the source file for the first task, which is called "The Equilibrium Concept". You clicked the edit icon for the first task and the "Editing a task" page was displayed. You then selected a new "Main file" for the source file and clicked the "Save changes" button.
When viewing the task you just modified, you expected the new source file to be displayed, but the old one was shown instead.

I tried the above on my local test server, and I found that the new source file was displayed thoughtful, so I need more help to be able to reproduce the problem you are having.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Sorry for my being dense. Yes to what you think I am saying. I just put together a quick video to show what happens. Hope this helps.

http://www.screencast.com/t/SGLshVggm8Ho

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jeff,
thanks for preparing the screencast. It is very clear - and I enjoyed listening to your dulcet tones!

On the "Edit tasks" page, you can switch the "Show columns" menu to "Tasks" and you should see the "Source file" and "Source file type". That may help us work out what is going on.

I just updated TaskChain again. Although the update was for an unrelated issue, please could you update and let me know what happens to the "Source file" and "Source file type" columns.

thanks
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

I updated the TaskChain plugin  and here is the screenshot:

Is that  /thermoDynmcsHPnoEquil/01entropy.jqz  at the top for some earlier TaskChain supposed to be there?

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

HI Jeff,
thanks for the screenshot and for allowing me access to your site to investigate. I think I have narrowed down the essential conditions for this issue:

• TaskChain cache enabled
  • task files are uploaded or copied to source file area i.e. not linked or aliassed

At least those seem to be conditions which caused the issue on your site. I am now trying to recreate those conditions on my local server, and I will let you know what I find out.

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,
I think this issue is fixed now.

It took me a while to get my head around the problem, but in the end the fix was relatively simple.

As a result, you should now be able to modify a task's source file and then have that new file used when viewing the task. I have tested this with and without the TaskChain cache, using both aliassed files and files copied into the source file area for the task.

Please update your TaskChain module when you are able and confirm the issue is fixed.

TIA approve
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Hooray! It works. I am glad you remembered that you had access. I had meant to remind you that you still had it. I chuckled when I went  into the Moodle course and saw the hidden TaskChain Gordon Task.

Thanks much,

Jeff