Lesson misunderstanding?

Lesson misunderstanding?

Lisa McIver - દ્વારા
Number of replies: 4

Hi folks

I'm really hoping some kind soul can help with this query - it's had several of us occupied for quite a while now (and it can't be that difficult to resolve, but this is the first lesson we've had to deal with!). I'm sure we've just misunderstood something along the way and we'd be very grateful if someone could point us in the right direction.

An academic has a lesson (Moodle 2.5) that basically presents medical records and asks participants to make decisions as a result - the activity work flow should be something like this:

There's no need for this to be scored (as there are no right / wrong answers), and students should be able to revisit it if necessary. 

Now the problems...

Firstly, we've used an end of lesson (for those who choose option A in the first step), but this isn't displaying an end of lesson message - just a continue button.  We've also used an end of lesson  after the questions shown in stage B (again, this isn't displaying - just the continue button).

Secondly, the paths that we've defined look fine to us in the Moodle lesson itself, but we must have done something wrong as Moodle isn't taking us where (we thought!) we've asked it to.  For example, if we select option B in the first question, it isn't taking us to the page asking us which drug to prescribe... in fact, it doesn't take us anywhere  ઉદાસ !

Gah!!

Settings are as follows (apologies for not just attaching the lesson itself - it exceeds the 100KB attachment size allowable in this forum).

(all help VERY gratefully received!).

In reply to Lisa McIver

Re: Lesson misunderstanding?

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Lisa,

I'm afraid you got it all wrong by creating MCQ questions in your lesson. For your scenario, you need to create so-called Content pages, not question pages.

Please read carefully the Lesson documentation here: http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Lesson_module

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Lisa McIver - દ્વારા

Hi Joseph

Thanks for your reply - we've looked through the documentation but have obviously missed something (we'll revisit it again today).

I don't understand why a content page should be used instead of a question page though... surely, if you are asking a question which has 6 possible answers, you'd choose to use a question page? 

The odd thing seems to me that the pages don't go where they are supposed to - surely if we've added a jump to a specific page it should go directly there (whatever page type has been used).

It has to be said that whilst I love the theory behind the lesson activity, the practice of getting this one working is making my head hurt!

Thanks again,

Lisa

In reply to Lisa McIver

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Lisa "I don't understand why a content page should be used instead of a question page though... surely, if you are asking a question which has 6 possible answers, you'd choose to use a question page?"

Actually, the term "Content page" is misleading. Those pages can have 2 different uses.

1. A content page can be used to simply display some study or revision content. After viewing that content, the student will press the "Continue" or "Next" button to go to the next page, which may be an MCQ question page, asking questions to test their knowledge.
  2. Or a Content page can be used as a branching page. It will present some material, and ask the student to make a choice among several options that are presented in the buttons. According to their choice, the students will be "branched" to such or such a "jump page". That is precisely what you need in your scenario.

This is what your lesson would look like:

screenshot #1

And I have attached a backup of the lesson to this message, which you should be able to restore to a test course on your moodle 2.5 site.

There are some excellent examples of "branching scenarios" using the Moodle Lesson branching feature here: http://moodle.net/?courseid=1214.

If you (or your academics) read French, here is a link to an article I wrote about using the Moodle Lesson activity to create "action mazes": http://alsic.revues.org/137

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Lisa McIver - દ્વારા

Hi Joseph

Thank you so much for your help and for the links to the additional resources - we clearly have a lot to learn about the lesson activity, and (speaking for myself) I'd  certainly love to feel more confident about it.  The resources will be invaluable, I'm sure.

I was aware that the content pages could be used to allow the students to branch to other content (a bit like a table of contents), but why can you tell me why content pages are more suited to this scenario - is it simply because we're not grading the students? 

Of course, next time we might need to support a lesson where grades are necessary - were that the case with this scenario, I'd still be at a loss as to why the jumps weren't working as expected.

Thanks again for all of your help and patience (it's very much appreciated!)

Lisa