Database overload everyday at 1.00pm - err

Database overload everyday at 1.00pm - err

by Seth Mengal -
Number of replies: 8

Hello

Every day at 1.00pm i get a database overload error. and everything stops working for 5-7minutes.

This is really irritating, what could be the problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Mengal

Re: Database overload everyday at 1.00pm - err

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Two things you should check:
- Moodle taking the "automatic" course backups
- the host system of the virtual environment taking "snap shots"

Whichever the case, 1 p.m. is an odd time, unless your machine is in a warm country where people take a siesta!
smile
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Miguel Santos -

I recommend capturing the processlist when the slow down occurs.  It could be autobackups or a mysql backup as Visvanath mentioned, it could also be statistics is harvesting.

-- this is a query you could use to grab the processlist

select id, user, host, time, info from information_schema.processlist where state != 'Sleep';

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Miguel Santos

by Seth Mengal -

Hi Muguel and Visvanath.. Well i checked the course backups, they are scheduled every Sunday, which is like an off. Nobody really uses the platform..

Also tried the query Miguel stated, 

I think im naive to understand what can i gather from the query above. Do i have to look for the process id?

Thanks

In reply to Seth Mengal

by Albert Ramsbottom -

Hi

SAR would suit as it will take a snapshot of your system say every 5 mins

But this really sounds like a site backup routine to me, does your hosting run backups

Albert

In reply to Seth Mengal

by Matt Spurrier -

If you're using InnoDB on MySQL then install a tool called innotop

It's effectively the same as 'top' for processes, except it's for sql queries.

Longest will run at the top of the list, and will change colour as they breach the slow query limits, it also shows the time the query has been running for, and whether it's being run from the system or network.

Simply run the tool and monitor it, start it before the known outage time, and wait for slow queries to show up.

The key thing we're looking for here is table and/or row locking that's prohibiting other queries to run, thus pooling those queries in the queue until the connection limit is reached.

Ensure you login with innotop using your root credentials, as the root user is exempt from connection limits, so you won't get turfed.

Get back to us with the results and we'll see where things are going awry.

If you're using MyISAM (cringe) then 'show processlist' will show similar information, but will be a lot less obvious and you'll have to run it multiple times to see the changes.

Matt

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
In reply to Seth Mengal

by james mergenthaler -

A couple other things to check would be

1 - when is the cron script running?  Could it be doing its work then?

2 - are there any other scheduled tasks on the server than may be running at that time?

I have a scheduled task that backs up the DBs on the server.  Its a vhosted server with multiple moodle instances.  I have them running in the early morning hrs.