scorm package on-screen size (2+, all versions)

scorm package on-screen size (2+, all versions)

by tim st.clair -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers

When you embed, rather than pop up a SCORM activity, the height of the content area is not settable. For me, this has been problematic over the last few years, with sites I manage running various versions from 2.2 through 2.6 and all experiencing the same issues.

My scorm content is designed so that it has a header and footer that will dock to the top and bottom of their container object, and the content between can scroll if required. So if the window is made larger, the footer will continue to stick to its lowest possible location.

In Moodle, the code for resizing the scorm activity area contains this code:

// Calculate the rough new height from the viewport height.
newheight = Y.one('body').get('winHeight') -5;
if (newheight < 600) {
newheight = 600;
}
Y.one('#scorm_layout').setStyle('height', newheight);

Which means "make the scorm content area as tall as the windows height". My problem with this is that when the content is embedded, not popped up, you can't see the whole scorm content area, as well as the crucial "exist activity" button. On a desktop this isn't such a problem since people tend to know how to scroll. On a tablet, where most of my users are, it's a significant issue since scrolling content tends to pull the content inside the scorm object itself, not the outer page, so some users are finding it difficult to locate the exit activity button at all.

Is there a clear reason why we can't just formally set the height and width of the scorm embedded player to fixed values, like we can for popup windows (which do not even work on some tablets; not a viable solution)? This would be a fix to all my problems.

In most cases I've had to hack the script to peices so that it makes the content either respect the player height setting (normally only available if the content is set to open in a new window, and entirely negates the need for resizing), or to get the style code above to also consider keeping the exit activity button and any of its parent objects on screen as well as the content. This all breaks if the site is updated, or behaves erratically in different skins.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to tim st.clair

Re: scorm package on-screen size (2+, all versions)

by Brian Rembrandt -

I have the same problem.  I might have to dump Moodle all together.  Have you found a fix for this?