Captivate Changes in Moodle

Captivate Changes in Moodle

by Jill Sweitzer -
Number of replies: 6

I had uploaded a captivate scorm package into moodle it was working fine. Then I changed some of the activity completions, now  It works well for 1/2 of my class. I am unable to view the powerpoint and the quizzes no longer work. Suggestions please!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jill Sweitzer

Re: Captivate Changes in Moodle

by dawn alderson -

Jill, hi

is it worth telling us what you have done so far to alleviate the problem? That way others might be able to build on that knowledge.

Cheers,

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Jill Sweitzer -

I downloaded an existing PowerPoint into Captivate 7. I created the 12 questions at the end of the view. I uploaded it into Moodle as a SCORM package and in Moodle set the parameters for unlimited attempts.

I need clarification on the following:

I believe that when I upload Captivate to Moodle, any editing or changes must be made in Captivate, and then re-uploaded AGAIN to Moodle. Is this understanding correct?

In Moodle and Captivate it is designed to  allow multiple attempts on quizzes.  After viewing the demonstration and taking the quiz, I students cannot go back and review the demonstration.  It only goes to the quiz.  Is this a design function of Captivate? Of Moodle? 

In Moodle, it seems that my students must close out of the activity to go to the next activity. Is that a function of Moodle? 

I look forward to your replys.

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jill,

Re: "I believe that when I upload Captivate to Moodle, any editing or changes must be made in Captivate, and then re-uploaded AGAIN to Moodle. Is this understanding correct?" -- Yes, that's correct. Everything in the SCORM package is listed in a manifest.xml file which sometimes needs to be updated if you edit/change the package. The SCORM authoring tool, in this case Adobe Captivate, will automatically update the manifest.xml file for you.

Moodle doesn't include any SCORM package editing tools.

BTW, Moodle's built in content authoring, presentation, and quiz tools are also worth considering for creating SCORM-like learning interactions.

Back in 2009, I wrote this article about SCORM: http://blog.matbury.com/2009/02/16/scorm-the-pros-and-cons/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Jill Sweitzer -

Thank you Matt.  I read your article and will continue to read your past posts.  I am in large urban district with no support or Moodlers.  I learned the basics from lynda.com, but they only post so much. I have viewed what I would like to do, but do not know what it is called so that  I can implement it. I would like to improve the look of my course and the students interactivity.   I selected Captivate, learned that on lynda.com, I liked the drag and drop features and I could use existing PowePoints, but what I realized is that existing ppt, does not translate well into a LMS.  As I move forward, I want to improve my design and student activity but I am so frustrated.

by dawn alderson -

Hi there,

please could I ask a couple of naiive questions? Thanks.

1. I really like the external tool, in that stuff can be linked if lti compatible (I think that is the right word).  It appears to me that you get to view and engage with stuff (e.g. wordpress) on the same page, so you get to stay in Moodle.  Would it not be easier to choose an OS tool with lti compatibility to achieve the same thing? And, can only open source connect in this way?  Does it have to a case of using Captivate?

2.SCORM: is this the common denominator across the problem?I don't know, but it seems to me that there are now more advanced solutions such as Tin Can-not a developer so I dont know to be sure, but maybe someone can explain that-be useful to know.

3. Powerpoint slides: An alternative might be Haiku Deck...open source and can connect through the lti-I think.....if not the slides can be published on the web and the link directly accessed...or you can just access the HD on the web as author of the presentation and show it offline.

4. Finally is the time right to put something in core...that would help teachers/students to advance their authoring/presentation skills..........Adobe-the base layer......is/can be tempremental at times.

That is my knew knowledge and I am very proud-also would like to be corrected too...so be gentle (you know who you are smile).

Dawn 

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jill,

You're welcome and I'm glad you found my article interesting smile

Moodle's quiz module does everything that SCORM can do and more, however, you've said, "I would like to improve the look of my course", the quiz module question types are fairly inflexible, in terms of layout and look and I've heard this as a main reason from a number of IDs for using SCORM and/or other plugins.

If the quiz module does meet your needs but there's some types of questions that aren't supported or don't work the way you want them to, it's worth checking the question type plugins: https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=29

In terms of getting some focused guidance with curriculum development on Moodle, I think these books are worth considering: http://www.packtpub.com/search?keys=moodle&sort=0&types=0&forthcoming=1&available=1&count=20&op=Go They don't contain anything that isn't already available for free on the web, especially in Moodle Docs, these forums, and Moodlers' personal blogs, but it's nice to have ready compiled, collated, edited, reviewed, and indexed books to speed up the process and raise points that you may not have thought of.

I hope this helps!

BTW, I don't work for Packt Publishing and have no affiliation with them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)