something cool: annotative collaboration

something cool: annotative collaboration

by Tom Murdock -
Number of replies: 5

I just found a cool website with some functionality that I've never seen before.  I don't think the site has developed much (it was apparently hit by a virus and abandoned), but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Here is another kind of annotation. 

I don't know how it fits into Moodle, but it is collaborative and looks like fun.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Murdock

Re: something cool: annotative collaboration

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Very cool - I like it.

Poetry module anyone?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: something cool: annotative collaboration

by Tom Murdock -

Poetry or any kind of text, actually.

Imagine a teacher or student posts a page.  Then forum-style, everyone makes a comment.

The difference would be that each forum participant would mark the text with a footnote which would link to a popup window (http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html).  Would that be incredibly complicated?

Tom

In reply to Tom Murdock

Annotative Collaboration: More Ideas

by Matt Edminster -

This sounds like something I've been envisioning. 

I would like to find a module that would allow students to upload a given text or image (a map for instance) then create a layer - like an overhead transparency - upon which they could make annotations, "highlight" or drag-n-drop symbols then save and submit their work.

Here are some uses I envision (in the context of Bible study but applicable to other examples as well):

1. Students could review and even edit their annotations over the course of a long text broken up into weekly chunks. This is helpful in the case of individual book studies in the Bible which may be long but have themes and internal structure throughout. This module would provide a visual representation of text study over time allowing students to make discoveries in the text by following their own visual cues - a editable scroll so to speak.
  2. In the case of maps, students could document the geographical details of a text. This would also be helpful for history or culture courses. It might behave something like some of the "guestmap" programs out there (see Globetrotter) for displaying a site's visitors and their comments geographically (users can place an icon over a map image and add text that will show up in a pop-up layer when later visitors hover over the icon).
  3. There could also be the option of displaying submitted "layers" in a "class summary" so that a student who has submitted their layer can compare it against the submitted layers of other students. This would be a great way to fuel discussion and to be able to refer to other people's observations.
  4. Finally, if the student's layer could be stacked with the original and saved either as html or as an image, it could be used as a reference for an individual's future study.

I am not a programmer, just I'm a dreamer. If I had the skills to work on something like this I would do it. As it stands, I only know enough to be dangerous. If you know of anything in existence like this or a way to accomplish the same thing through different available means, let me know. If there are any suggestions for how to make this work, I'd be willing to give it my best shot - so long as it's not too complicated.

In reply to Matt Edminster

Re: Annotative Collaboration: More Ideas

by N Hansen -
There is something called Oekaki Poteto, which is open source, and allows for drawing. I've never installed it myself, but it seems to me that perhaps there might be a way to pre-insert an image into the Oekaki and then be able to draw on it? I would be interested in seeing someone incorporate this into Moodle. I'm not a programmer, but I would be happy to test it if someone could do it.