course list on front page

course list on front page

by Wolfgang Schöner -
Number of replies: 5

Hi everybody,

on the noodle.net start page there is a list of hub-courses. You can see them without being logged in.

I would like to do something like that on my private hub. But I did not succeed till now.

I use moodle 2.4.8 and at the moment, I can't update to a higher version. 

I tried to autologgin every user as guest, but did not succeed. Can you give me a hint, how to set up a list of hub-courses on my private hub? Did not find any tip on google or in the forum.

Thanks smile

Wolfgang

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wolfgang Schöner

Re: course list on front page

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Wolfgang. Do you mean the search for courses box? I believe this appears when the hub software is installed Hub administration Which aspect is not working for you?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wolfgang Schöner -

Hello Mary,

thank you for your answer. And Yes, I mean the "search for courses box". 

Let me explain: i am new to moodle, and I am new in my company. I got the task, to install a private moodle hub and explore the features, that are available (nobody else has the spare time to do this) 

So I installed the private hub, and  linked a course to this hub, and everything is working. 

But I had the idea, there must be more features or properties to set. So I tried to configure moodle, that anybody who enters the frontpage is handled as guest, without having press the "register as guest-Button". I did not succeed. 

Then I searched for a property, to make moodle show the "search for courses box" without the user being logged-in. But I did not find this feature, although on moodle.net this is working. 

So I wonder wether this is a feature of another hub-version, or this is a feature, that exists, but I did not find it. Or weather this is a hack, written by some moodle expert. (I have to use moodle 2.4.8, so I always wonder, wether I see features of new Moodle version online)

Maybe my google search wasn't that efficient, or there exists a Youtube-tutorial, I did not find. 

And thats the reason for my questioning here. I liked to learn more about this, I did not find anything more then the "how to install it" and I hope, there exists more information somewhere.

If there is no more information, thats ok for me too. Then I have to do this by try and error.

I hope I do not offend you, but because everything is new for me, I just try to find more information than I found till now.

Best

Wolfgang

In reply to Wolfgang Schöner

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Wolfgang! No; you don't offend me at all but I am not sure I can help with the technical side as I don't know much about hubs and I didn't set up Moodle.net originally, although I do know it has some customisations. Could I ask why your company needs a private hub and not a simple/regular Moodle site?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wolfgang Schöner -

Hello Mary,

my Compony produces and administers moodle advanced training courses for some thousand school-teachers. They already use complex moodle-environments and I have to evaluate the use of a moodle-hub.

So I try to develope some ideas about the surroundings and requirements, which are needed for this idea.