Link to Next Chain on Exit Page

Link to Next Chain on Exit Page

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 15

Hi Gordon,

On the Exit Page, Quizport automatically added a link to the next activity, if one was specified.

I can't seem to get TaskChain to do that.  Please see my settings below.

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you!

Deborah

p.s.  Sorry to be a nuisance but did you get a chance to look at the display problem with jIntro?  

Attachment Exit-Page.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Link to Next Chain on Exit Page

by Deborah Delin -

Actually, I could work around this problem if I could get the continue button at the bottom of the end of chain page to link to the next TaskChain in the course, but at the moment it just takes me back to the course page.  I have also already asked about having a link to the next TaskChain on the Exit Page.  

The linking issue is causing me great problems and I'm a little concerned as my server upgrades to 2.6 at the end of March and I have a ton of QuizPorts to convert to TaskChain before then.

Thank you in advance,

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Deborah,
I intend to start our new school term in April with Moodle 2.6, so I am also very motivated to get QuizPorts converted to TaskChain by then. I don't think you will need to convert them by hand. I certainly don't intend too wink

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Deborah,
when the exit page is enabled and has ONLY the "Next" link enabled, then TaskChain tries to be smart and proceeds directly to the next activity. Is that what is happening with you?

If you want TaskChain to display the Exit page with a "Next" link, then you will need to enable at least one of the other feedback or link items on the exit page (e.g. Encouragement)

For reference, I have attached the exit page of the test TaskChain I just set up and ran.

regards
Gordon

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 12.10.06 PM.png

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

Actually, whichever options I tick for the Exit Page, I don't get a link to the next activity.  I have tried various combinations of Encouragement/retry/your grade for that attempt.  But I don't get a link. thoughtful Please see screenshot below.  However, as my students are non-readers, a choice of different links wouldn't help anyway.  

You say that if the last task is completed successfully TaskChain continues to the next activity.  But as my chains are very long I like to break them up with encouragement.  So the last "task" is just an HTML page with information.  Maybe that's why I can't get it to carry on to the next activity?

In Quizport the Continue button that appeared at the bottom of the End of Unit page would lead to the next Activity if this was set.  But in TaskChain that button just leads back to the same page.  If I could get this button to lead to the next activity it would solve my problem.

Sorry to be so complicated.

Deborah

Attachment taskchain-exit-page.png

by Gordon Bateson -

Could it be that you have specified a minimum score required to progress on to the next activity?

In the attached screenshot, you will notice I have set the minimum required score to 80% in my test TaskChain. If you have done something similar in your TaskChain then the score shown in your screenshot, 1%, would not be enough to allow the display of the "Next" link.

If set the required score to 0%, you may get the behavior your expected.

regards
Gordon

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 8.49.08 AM.png

by Deborah Delin -

Thank you for your reply and for all the others!  I will work through them and give individual feedback.

Re. Quizport to Taskchain, I'm not sure what to do.  My server upgrades end of March.  Having all my Quizports transform automatically to Taskchains would be a dream as converting them manually is proving to be quite a headache.

I'll check with my server if the deadline is still end March.

Thank you,

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

I worked round having an exit page by adding an html exit page of my own with a link to the next chain.  How can I get the "continue" button that displays at the bottom of this page to lead to the next chain?  I have the next activity set as the next chain in the settings.  When the post condition is set as "end of chain" the continue button leads to the course page, and when the post condition is set as "next activity" it leads to the same task (i.e. the exit html page).

I will test out the exit page settings you mentioned when I can.

Thank you,

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -

Gordon, it's the strangest thing.  I set up two Taskchains on your test site and, indeed, at the end of this TaskChain:

http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/20/mod/taskchain/view.php?id=23

I am able to get a link to the next activity.

But using what seem to be the identical settings with this TaskChain:

http://www.strivney.com/new/mod/taskchain/view.php?id=2265

no link shows up. sad

You must be tired of my queries by now but if you get a chance to have a look at the TaskChain on my server and see what I mean I would be so grateful.

Thank you,

Deborah

p.s. I'm afraid I used some rather large files for this.  I will have to create some smaller test files for this purpose.  I don't know how to access them to delete them but please feel free to do so when you want to.

by Deborah Delin -

Gordon, it's the strangest thing.  I set up two Taskchains on your test site and, indeed, at the end of this TaskChain:

http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/20/mod/taskchain/view.php?id=23

I am able to get a link to the next activity.

But using what seem to be the identical settings with this TaskChain:

http://www.strivney.com/new/mod/taskchain/view.php?id=2265

no link shows up. sad

You must be tired of my queries by now but if you get a chance to have a look at the TaskChain on my server and see what I mean I would be so grateful.

Thank you,

Deborah

p.s. I'm afraid I used some rather large files for this.  I will have to create some smaller test files for this purpose.  I don't know how to access them to delete them but please feel free to do so when you want to.

by Gordon Bateson -

I had a look on your site and even set up my own simple 3-step TaskChain (called "Gordon TEST") but I also got no "Next" link. In order to investigate I would like to load a full backup of you database (not the files) into my local server. Could you make a full MySQL dump of the database you are using for the "new" site, zip it up, and send me a link of where I can download it from (gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp)

thanks
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Thanks so much for looking on my site.  I have asked my server to help me with making a mySQL dump as I don't know how to do this.

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

No, no minimum score set.  See screenshot of settings.

Re. the continue button, can you suggest a way I can get it to lead to next activity?

Thank you,

Deborah

Attachment task-chain-settings.png

by Gordon Bateson -

I don't think we can change the continue button. It notifies TaskChain that this the task page has been seen.

We should concentrate on getting the Next button to display as it is intended to do.

Please could you make a much simpler TaskChain, with just a quiz of some sort and a final HTML page. That is what I was able to get working on my local server, so let's try and get it working on your server and build up from there.

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
thanks for allowing me to work on a copy of your database. I was able to find and fix the cause of this issue. I'm embarassed to say there was a debugging line that I had inadvertantly left in the PHP code that was causing the "Next" link not to be displayed when a specific activity was specified as the next activity.

After I removed the debugging line, the "Next" activity functionality works as expected.

Please update the TaskChain on your Moodle site at the next convenient opportunity.

Thanks again for bringing this issue to my attention approve

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

That is so great Gordon!  I think (hope) my issues are all ironed out now.  Thanks so much for your time and patience in dealing with all of them. 

Thinking ahead to the Quizport/Taskchain conversion, I am wondering how this issue will convert.  In most of my Quizports I rely on the continue button to lead on to the next activity.  In Taskchain it doesn't do this.  Should I start replacing all my html exit pages with Taskchain Exit pages in preparation, or will the conversion deal with this?

Deborah