Self-enrollment only in a given category

Self-enrollment only in a given category

by Grzegorz Lecter -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I'm using Moodle 2.5.

I have a couple of categories in Moodle. How can I restrict some users to only be allowed to self-enroll into courses only in a given category? Is it possible to create a system role that is not allowed to self-enroll into courses? I would then assign these users the Student's role only in a given category.

Thanks!Grzegorz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Grzegorz Lecter

Re: Self-enrollment only in a given category

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You could actually achieve this pretty easily with cohorts.  Just put the users that are allowed to enroll in a specific cohort.  Then, when you set up the self enrollment method for the course, make it specific to that cohort (there is an option in the self enrollment settings for that).

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Grzegorz Lecter -

Thanks Emma, indeed I was thinking about it too, however I have about 2000 users and 4 categories with over 400 courses. And I want to allow around 300 users to be allowed only in one category (4th category). However the rest of the people must be also allowed to open all categories, including that fourth category. I'm looking for an easier way than having to set up each course enrollment restriction individually...

In reply to Grzegorz Lecter

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can add cohorts to categories.  Have you looked at setting student permissions at the category level?  I am not sure if that would work specifically but I still think cohorts is going to be your answer.