Add new feature to forum (post one discussion)

Add new feature to forum (post one discussion)

by William Bien -
Number of replies: 6

Would it be possible to add a feature to the forum type "Each person posts one discussion"? The feature I am requesting will not allow a student to view the other discussions in the forum until they have added a new discussion topic and the 30 minute editing period has passed?

A better description of this type of forum might be "Each person posts one topic." This type of forum would be useful when you want students to post their own definition of a term and/or to upload an attachment showing a document they had created.

Only after a student has posted a new topic (text and maybe an attachment) would the student be able to see what the other students had done and then be allowed to comment on the other students' work.

The Q and A forum type is similar to this but the student is posting a topic instead of posting a question.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Bien

Re: Add new feature to forum (post one discussion)

by Jason Hardin -

What is the teaching use case you are trying to solve, regardless of the tool you want to use?

i think I can piece together the use case from your description, but I am not sure how it is different than asking a student to post a question. If you replace question with the word topic they sound like the same use case to me.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jason Hardin

by William Bien -

If I could change the text on the button to "Add a new forum topic" instead of showing the default text "Add a new question" this would be perfect! Could you please explain how to do this?

Thank you for offering to help!

Bill

In reply to William Bien

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You can change any wording of Moodle yourself for your own installation in Site administration>Language>Language customisation. Search for the file mod/forum

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by William Bien -

If you change the forum button text going through Site administration settings does this mean that every Moodle course run at that site location will display this change?

If the answer is yes... Is there a way to change the forum button text for a single course? Other course developers may not want to have the text changed in their courses.

In my Moodle class, I want the features of the Q and A forum but my students will be posting discussion topics instead of questions. I just think if the button displays the text "Add a question" this will be confusing to students.

Thank you Mary for your help!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Davin Scampton -

This is utterly brilliant!

In reply to Davin Scampton

by William Bien -

In the Q and A Forum, is there a way to change the button text "Add a new question" to something else within a single course?    

Other course developers on our Moodle site may not want to have the button text changed in their courses.

Idea for future versions of Moodle:  Why can't there be a drop-down menu or a text field in the Q and A Forum settings allowing the course developer to enter the text they want displayed on the button or select different text options from a drop-down menu?

Possible options on drop-down menu:

• Add a new question
  • Add a new discussion topic
  • Upload attachment and elaborate