Quiz

Removing CBM bonus/penalty from a quiz grade

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Matt Rice
Removing CBM bonus/penalty from a quiz grade
Group Core developers

One of the faculty members at my institution is having an issue with one of her quizzes: she set up the quiz to be 5 questions worth 1 mark each, so students' scores should be out of 5. After some students had taken the quiz, the faculty member noticed the scores were ranging up to 15/5. The teacher then went and disabled CBM (changing to "Deferred feedback" instead of the erroneous "Deferred feedback with CBM"). The scores for students attempting the quiz after CBM was disabled are showing up properly (e.g. 3/5, 5/5, etc.) but the grades for students who attempted the quiz while CBM was enabled are still showing up incorrectly (e.g. 12/5, 15/5, etc.).

How can I/she go about fixing the scores for the students that took the quiz when CBM was enabled? I have tried everything I could think of (except manual regrading of questions/attempts).

We are running Moodle 2.6.1.

Average of ratings: -
argm
Re: Removing CBM bonus/penalty from a quiz grade
Group Plugin developers

You need the plugin for CBM Grades. This is available at

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=quiz_cbmgrades .

Unfortunately this isn't currently in core along with the improved CBM code in 2.6, though anyone using CBM (and in your case trying not to use it!) really needs the plugin. Since you switched off CBM on your quiz after the false start using it, the links to CBM documentation will I fear be almost invisible. It is linked from the ? - "More info" whenever one uses CBM. The main documentation for CBM is at:

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Using_certainty-based_marking  

This should be linked from the quiz edit-settings page where you choose behaviours.

Once you have the plugin, clicking "Results", "CBM Grades" will give you the plain scores (ignoring certainty, when indicated) in the column marked "Accuracy". Your grades 1/5, 2/5 etc. will appear as 20%, 40% etc. for all the students whether they used CBM or not.

Matt Rice
Group Core developers

Thank you! I'll check it out tomorrow.

Matt Rice
Group Core developers

I've got the plugin installed, and I can see the Accuracy column. How do I pull the accuracy score (instead of the score with CBM bonuses) into the Gradebook?

For example, 

Name Current Grade Accuracy CBM Bonus Desired Grade
Student A 15/5 100% 0% 5/5
Student B 12/5 100% -6% 5/5
Student C -3/5 60% -12% 3/5
Student D 6/5 80% 0% 4/5

argm
Group Plugin developers

Sorry - I don't know whether or how you could change what the gradebook looks at. Others may be able to help. Maybe you could just use the accuracy data from the CBM Grades table to edit entries that used the wrong behaviour in an Excel copy of the gradebook.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

There is currently no way to change the question behaviour after the fact. It would be possible to develop it, and there is an issue here that you can vote for: MDL-37949. However, I don't know of anyone who is planning to work on this.