Front page menu links to pages

Front page menu links to pages

by David Dunn -
Number of replies: 6

Mdl 2.5.1

Essential theme 2.5

In my custom menu, I have links to a page of FAQs and a page "About us". The actual page links are also on the front page. However, I find it ugly to have the page links visible, just floating among the nice marketing spots and other well-designed front page items. If I hide the page links, then they are no longer accessible via the menu.

What I need is to link from the menu to pages within moodle, without those pages being in a course. Does this make sense and is it possible?

[screenshot of front page with highlighted page links]

Front page with page links

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Dunn

Re: Front page menu links to pages

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Add the main menu block - with editing turned on, add your pages via the main menu block. Get their URL and use that for your links. Hide the main menu block - the URLs will still work.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

+1 for Mary's option

For completeness sake, another option I have used in the past is to create a separate 'course' which is solely used as a store for such pages

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Julian Ridden -

Essential is designed to use the method Mary mentioned. Add your links, files, content, etc in the Main Menu block and then move that block into the red area on the Frontpage that says for Admins only.

The links will all still work but your users won't see the block

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Guido Gautsch -

That's much easier than always turning on the topic section in front page settings, adding a page and turning the topic section off again smile

My only issue is the Navigation block, which still floats to the left of such pages and there's no apparent way to make it go away - or is there?

In reply to Guido Gautsch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If it is just for individual pages in your custom menu then you could hide the navigation block just on those pages.

In reply to Julian Ridden

by David Dunn -

Excellent advice! Our front page looks a lot tidier now.

I had wondered what to do with the red Admin only block, apart from filling it with half-finished ideas, so now it is really being used with a useful purpose.

Thanks for your help!

- David