Private Teacher Comments on Student Posts

Private Teacher Comments on Student Posts

by Keith C -
Number of replies: 8

I'd like to be able to give feedback on individual student posts.  I have seen some talk in places about this.  It seems like a very powerful thing to be able to provide this specific feedback to students right in the place of the post in the first place. 

I'm interested to hear anyone's solution to this.  I'm racking my brain trying to come up with the best thing...I have students writing in the forums and would like to use it to develop them as writers as much as course content...to do this I'd like to point out ideas they can apply in the future right at the place of their posts.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Keith C

Re: Private Teacher Comments on Student Posts

by Susan Fleming -

Hello Keith

We looked into this last year when we were on 2.2 and the only option we could find was to put each student into an individual group (one per student) and make the groups "not visible" which rather defeated the purpose of the forum.  Hopefully someone will have come up with something you and I have missed. 

In reply to Susan Fleming

by Davin Scampton -

Wondering if the new Assignments are not the answer? Students can post online text, and the teacher can either do the same or upload a file depending on how things are set up. As they are assignments they are individual. I have set up assignments here as part of the mentoring system we have on campus, so students post how they are feeling, the tutor gets a message saying that there is some thing to grade, they read and post comments as appropriate. Surely this would work with writing also, as the tutor can send the 'assignment' back (either online text or a file) for the student to edit.

Apologies if I have missed some of the info here.

In reply to Davin Scampton

by Derek Chirnside -

Check out https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_dialogue

Personal teacher<>student conversations

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Keith C -

Thank you everyone for the responses.  I have installed the Advanced Forum module and there is an option when replying to a post to make the response private.  I have tested it and it seems to work and will be the best solution to this problem at this time.  However, I think it would be a valuable addition to allow comments on posts in forums similar to the way you can comment on glossary or database entries and then make those comments private. 

In reply to Keith C

by Derek Chirnside -

If you think this Keith, I hope you will bother to visit the tracker and vote for this: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22077

And also here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-39707

-Derek

by Keith C -

Derek I checked on both of those threads and did not vote on either one.  It looks to me like they are talking about the feature I am using in the Advanced Forum so it must be implemented.

If I were to see there something that indicated the feature as I suggested I would most certainly have voted for it.  The difference is the comment would be specifically attached to the post that is being graded...so there would be clear grade feedback an important instructional strategy.  Now I think it will be a little convoluted what these private posts are responding to and exactly what posts they go with in active threads!

In reply to Keith C

by Derek Chirnside -

Keith just to clarify.

You said: "However, I think it would be a valuable addition to allow comments on posts in forums similar to the way you can comment on glossary or database entries and then make those comments private"

Just to clarify: the tracker item, MDL-22077 is "Forum: Implement a "Private Reply" option" in a forum.  This does not happen in standard Moodle forms at the moment.  The tracker item is towards the suggestion that it should be in Standard Moodle forums. much like it is in the Advanced forum.

Voting has a limited and unpredictable effect on actual activity by coders, but it still can be worth doing if you support a proposal.

-Derek

by Susan Fleming -

Thank you all for the suggestions; it sounds like I have a few options to offer teachers and will now need to do some testing to see which works best with our configuration. 

Susan