Installing and upgrading help

Moodle 2.6.1 install - Help please!

Picture of Tannis P
Moodle 2.6.1 install - Help please!

Hello, I am brand new to Moodle and have read through everything. However, I am wondering if someone could simplify it for me. I have a post-secondary program that I would like to turn in to an online program for students. I have asked around, and have been told Moodle is the best way to host this online program.

What I am wondering is: Can I download Moodle 2.6.1 to my laptop Windows 7 computer and create my online program offline on my laptop before seeking a host such as HostGator to upload the course to (to host my Moodle Course)? It is an extensive online education course I am creating, so I would like to be able to work on it for a few months from my laptop whenever I have time. Is this possible without having to set up a host for the course first?

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Moodle 2.6.1 install - Help please!
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Yes. You can install Moodle on your laptop to work on developing content, or to experiment with the features. You can transfer a Moodle course or activity from one Moodle to another using the build in backup & restore functionality.

Picture of Tannis P
Re: Moodle 2.6.1 install - Help please!

Thank you for responding! Would you advise this is the best way to do it? Forget about a host for now, and install on my laptop, build my moodle school course, and then look for a host? Is this generally the way most people do it? I don't find the instructions very clear on this moodle site for people like me who've never used moddle before.