2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by 扬 宋 -
Number of replies: 11

I updated my site to moodle 2.6.1+,but I can not remove old students from  one course. for example, students of class A have finished the study of the course, as teacher, I need to remove them from this course, and then, tell the students of class B to choose this course, but I can not remove the students of class A, it will cause the problem of mix up of the students of class A and class B.

I used the function "reset course", which is in the menu of "course management", but it didn't work!

is this a bug of new vision? Or my Faulty operation?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to 扬 宋

Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by Florent Picard -

Hi:

Download the marks of your students, first, if this has not been done.

Then,try to remove all the material submitted and related to students (homeworks, exams, marks for homeworks and exams, empty groups and groupings, etc.) and, then, you will probably succeed in removing the students themselves.

The idea is that when an item is in use somewhere, it cannot be removed.

For example, you cannot remove a question actually used in a test before removing the test itself.

Another example is that you have to remove, first, a resource before being able to remove the uploaded file used in the resource.

Good luck.

Florent PIcard, teacher at Cegep (College) Montmorency,Laval, Québec, Canada.

In reply to Florent Picard

回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by 扬 宋 -

Thanks a lot, I will check any related factors that block my remove operation, and try it again! And I will post the result here for reference. Thank you very much!

In reply to 扬 宋

Re: 回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by Florent Picard -

Hi:

I want to add that it may not be necessary to remove a classroom to add another classroom on the same course.

Put a classroom in a Group and this group in a Grouping.

Do the same for the second classroom.

Then create a copy of each test, homework, etc. for each Grouping. assigned to the ressource or activity.

Working this way, you keep data of all the classrooms, independant from each other, for future reference, like in complaints about marks, etc. ,and you escape the problem of removing a classroom.

But, working this way, be aware that, if a former student comes back to the same classroom, in the same course in the future, he will have access to his former material and,then, might have, in advance, of other students, the questions for the tests and, eventually, the anwsers to those questionns if he has got the solution generated automatically by Moodle.

Good luck.

Florent Picard (teacher at Cegeo (College) Montmorency, Laval, Québec, Canada.

In reply to Florent Picard

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by 扬 宋 -

Hi:

I tried your way, clear all the related data first, such as marks, discussion, test, groups etc. In the last step, I removed the students, but it didn't work. The students list was always there. In fact, I can erased all the datas above-mentioned in one click but student. I think there must be something wrong with the platform, not the database(I use mysql), because if there is something wrong with the database that cause the writing operation to the database failed, then, all the fields(including marks, discussion, labels, etc) will not be written or modifed,not only the fields related with students info.

I want to remove the students that have finished the course because they will never study the course again, they don't need to come back to the course any time. The course will open to the other class of students who never study the course before. If the students of old class come back, they will confuse me and cause many mistake, just as you assumed above. So, I tried to seperated the old students with the course and the new students.

thanks a lot, Mr Florent Picard.

In reply to 扬 宋

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by Florent Picard -

Hi:

Could it be possible that, at least, a single student in the group be member of 2 courses at the same time ? If so, this student might prevent the bulk command to work because it has pending resources attached to him.

Good luck.

Florent.

In reply to 扬 宋

Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

As a quick fix, on your last screen shot, this is where you can remove each student.

I am not sure that a "Reset" does it (I have never tried this).

Actually, I never remove students from a course.  If I want to start a new course, I leave the old one there, back it up, then restore to a new course.  This gives me a new course with no students in it.  It also preserves what happened in my old course.  Of course, I turn the old course off by "hiding" it.

In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by 扬 宋 -

Just as you said, I can remove each student on the page that my last screenshot showed, but I only can remove them one by one. The number of the student is a little large, it's about 160 students in that course, if I use this way to remove them, I need click the mouse more than 160 times, it will waste my time. And, I teach several courses, there are about equivalent number of students in each course, if so, everytime I want to manage my course, I will take many many time on clearing the students info. So, I prefer the way "once and for all".

I tried the "Reset", in version 2.4.*, and I succeeded in removing all the students by one click. Yesterday, I updated the platform to 2.6.1+, after that, the "Reset" was not functioned in removing students.

If I set a new course and leave the old on the server, it will cause a big spending on hardware, and will creat more and more redundant data in the database, unless the administrator of moodle delete the old classes one by one manually.

By the way, as i tested, if you hide the old class, the old student who have participate the course before can  see and enter the course yet. 

Thank you Mr Rick Jerz.

In reply to 扬 宋

Re: 回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by Rick Jerz -

I see the problem.  If it takes 10 seconds to delete each student, it can take 30 minutes to delete all 160.

But I don't know what else to suggest.  Maybe someone else will help.

In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by 扬 宋 -

Maybe it's a bug of this versionsmile

In reply to 扬 宋

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by Rick Jerz -

I just tried a "reset" for one of my courses, and it worked.  All students were removed when I picked the "default" reset choice.  I am using Moodle 2.6+ (Build: 20140110).

In reply to Rick Jerz

回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 2.6.1+ can not remove old students from one course

by 扬 宋 -

I tried it again after your try, but it didn't work. I am using  2.6.1+ (Build: 20140213). Thank you for your support.