Hotpot and Quandary

Hotpot and Quandary

by Brian Roy -
Number of replies: 8
Is it possible to add a Quandary maze into Moodle using the Hotpot module?

I've added a quiz or two and they work just fine and really like the idea behind Quandary.

Thanks
Brian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Roy

Re: Hotpot and Quandary

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I agree with you that Quandary is a great teaching and learning tool. I like the fact that you can save the state of the maze and come back to it later.

At the moment, the HotPot module doesn't handle Quandary mazes, although I have successfully added Quandary activities to a Moodle site in the past, so it is definitely a feasable enhancement.

regards
--Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Brian Roy -
Do you have any tips or tricks to add a Quandary maze to a course?

We're hoping to make it a major testing tool in some of our courses.

Thanks
Brian
In reply to Brian Roy

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Actually it was a couple of years ago when I worked on this, so I can't remember all the details.

The site which uses Moodle to administer Quandary is here:
http://www.churchofcompassionateservice.com/lms/course/view.php?id=5

I seem to recollect that behind the scenes the results are sent back in much the same way as HotPot and TexToys. However, you would need to adjust the code in hotpot.js so that it recognized a Quandary quiz.

Off the top of my head, I don't think you can get many details back from Quandary. However, I'll look into it later this week and report back.

--Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Lorie Hand -

Hi,

I have been using Moodle for a couple years and in many ways I still feel I am merely scratching the surface of its usefulness. I recent downloaded Quandary and made my first maze. I would like to upload it to my moodle site so my students can try it out but I really haven't had any luck in getting Moodle to execute my newly created activity. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks

Lorie Hand

In reply to Lorie Hand

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi there,

a Quandary output file is a single htm file with accompanying imagery and other media, so you can upload it to your course files and link to it from within the course.

I'm guessing you might want Moodle to track your users' behaviour, but I don't think a HotPot or Quizport can handle that.

Quandary mazes are not meant as testing tools and any 'scoring' you may have embedded is more of a reward than awarded grades. There may not be wrong answers, but rather it's useful for constructing meaning while moving through the different scenarios of the maze as a student takes different paths. It's generally very good for problem-solving, diagnosis, procedural training, that kind of stuff; I've personally used it also to create Tutorials and Training Workshops.

Cheers

Stan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Lorie Hand -

Thank you for replying so quickly! I uploaded it to my files and tried to add it to my topic block as a HotPot quiz and after a bit of despiration a direct file link.

I know my naivete is showing but I want to be sure I understand your advice; you say it should work to add it to my topic block as a web page?

Thank you,

Lorie Hand

In reply to Lorie Hand

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Lorie,

Yes, I did mean

Add a resource >> Add Link to a file or website

and browse for the htm file you uploaded

Cheers

Stan

In reply to Lorie Hand

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Lorie,

Didn't it work as a link to the htm file? Maybe you linked to the 2qn file? thoughtful That wouldn't work.

I've attached a link to an ultra short Quandary file: 01.htm

I only have a student role here - on one of my courses, in the teacher role I'd put the link on the main course page in the way Stan's just explained, and it would open in the same way even if it were a long and complex maze.

Cheers,

Glenys

If you want students to be scored, you can create similar mazes with the Moodle standard activity Lesson and the non-standard activity QuizPort.