Group Enrolment

Re: Group Enrolment

by Joseph Thaba -
Number of replies: 2

I am having massive problems with groups just now.  I teach the same module/course to over 200 students on campus and have asked students to enrol themselves onto the course through pre-sent group enrollment keys.  However, I now have students enrolled but dont show in any of the groups I set up, I have students who "swear" they enrolled into one group, but they show up in another group, its such a downright mess I dont have any idea how to clean it up.  Someone please help.  I think we are on version 2.0 or slightly above.

I want to believe I did everything by the book in setting up these groups, however, there is the following:

When a student enrols in your course for the first time, they will be prompted for their
Key, and will automatically become a member of the course and the group whose
Key they use. For this to work you must also have a course enrolment key (which
wouldn't need distributing).

This last sentence what does this mean? this is the one thing I dont remember fitting in.

In reply to Joseph Thaba

by David Morrow -

Joseph,

That last line means that the group enrollment keys won't work as intended unless there is a course enrollment key in place in the Self-enrollment settings:

Administration > course administration > Users > Enrollment methods > Self-enrollment (Student)

enrollment key

And that you don't want to tell the students the course key - if they use it, they will be enrolled but not sorted into the correct group.

If you have groups and group keys set up, but no course key defined, I believe students can still enroll with their respective groups keys - they just won't be sorted into groups.

Also, that course key and the group keys must all be unique. If a group key is the same as the course key, and a student uses that key, I believe that he would be enrolled in the course but not put into a group.

In both of those last two situations, you can manually sort them into groups.

If students are showing up in groups - even the wrong groups - it sounds like you have a course key in place. Is there a chance that any of your group keys are duplicates of each other? Or that they are similar enough that a student could accidentally enter an incorrect (but valid) group key? Accidentally entering "block1" instead of "block2", for instance.

Thanks,

David

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Morrow

by Joseph Thaba -
David, Thank you for your response.  Your valued advice comes at the end of the semester hence a little late for me to do much.  It has never been this lonely at Moodle!  I will however, try fix this problem with the next batch i will get in the next semester.  For now I got tonnes of marking and exam administration to worry about fixing this wonderful tool..thoughtful