HELP!!

Re: HELP!!

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

YES! You are in luck.  You need to go into the database and find them there.  Change the deleted key from 1 to 0.  Then reenroll them in the classes and all should be back to normal.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by C. J. Turner -

What is the name of the database and where is it located? I'm trying to move the moodledata from one server to another.

In reply to C. J. Turner

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

If you can access PHPMyAdmin, assuming you are using the standard MySQL database, it will find the database for you, so what you can do is to run a backup of the database and then using PHPMyAdmin again, restore it to the new server. It is named whatever the name was given at installation, but "moodle"  is default.

Otherwise, the location of the database is wherever it was put when your Moodle was installed. You might want to ask your sys admin people, they may not have used a default location, but often it is the MySQL folder on the active drive. 

The database and the moodledata folder are separate things. The moodledata folder is on the same drive as the Moodle, but usually one level above the Moodle in the directory tree, for security purposes. You can confirm that by looking at the tree of your server, again, your installation may be different. 

In reply to C. J. Turner

by C. J. Turner -

I think I have figured it out. Our hoster has been withholding the database access. Our hoster is using cPanel to create the MYSQL. I have access to the raw files of the cPanel, but I do not have access to the actual MYSQL database.

In reply to C. J. Turner

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I would suggest you have a serious, in-depth, discussion with your host before you go much further.  If you are sharing a database they may not appreciate your attempt get inside it..smile Alternatively, if they have separate databases for each of their Moodle clients, you may want to change the rules on what you may need in the future, the access you may require all that sort of issue. Whatever the case may be, I would suggest that whatever you want to do, unless you are going to become your own hosts, then you need to maintain the best relations you can with them. 

But then, I would seriously recommend that if you have the expertise on staff, or can develop it quickly, you are generally a lot better off hosting it yourself. Hardware is relatively cheap, it is tech support that can be expensive, However, if you have one or two or even three on staff that can properly admin the Moodle, who can also be utilised in other areas, that helps in bringing that cost down.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)