accidently deleted a repository file

Re: accidently deleted a repository file

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

'moodledata directory there are several folders named '0d' ... well, yes, that possible with hashing, but they do NOT, cannot exist at the same level ... ie, just below moodledata.

The first error you got pointed to a file we created and placed manually.

This next error is for a file that should be in moodledata/a9/6d/

and it's hashed name is a96d80ff2a77aa3fe204e8ce2c4c9399033b4685

If you can't purchase a plan that allows DB larger than what you are using right now,  then this problem will continue to happen IF you manually remove records in the DB without removing also the actual files.

Only way I can help is to tell you that - and to suggest (IF your time is worth anything and you desire to NOT have these problems) you purchase a plan that allows for larger DB's.   If the provider cannot do that ... search for another provider.

Continuing to manually remove records and files leaves a lot of room for human error.   One of these days you could end up destroying your Moodle site.   Only hope and re-course is for the provider to restore your site.   Uhhhh, your provider is taking snapshots of your space, aren't they?   That's probably not a free service and will cost.

IMHO, this does illustrate that maybe Admins of a site do need tools inside the Moodle UI to 'deal with' the new file system.   But, wouldn't expect any such tool from Moodle HQ coming anytime soon.   Hasn't reached critical mass yet.

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Cron

Since you are remotely hosted, check with provider about how to setup cron jobs.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Craig Cleator -

This next error is for a file that should be in moodledata/a9/6d/

and it's hashed name is a96d80ff2a77aa3fe204e8ce2c4c9399033b4685

Inside moodledata/filedir/a9/6d is a file named: a96d7e5f2e15f7d3a701311417fae4ea7ff578c3

Should I add the delete this and add a file with the name: a96d80ff2a77aa3fe204e8ce2c4c9399033b4685

or should I leave the file and add a second with that name?

I will look into setting up a proper Cron job.

Thanks

In reply to Craig Cleator

by Craig Cleator -

Hi Ken,

It appears that the problem goes beyond just the private files repository. Trying to edit several pages produced the following errors.

Debug info: [dataroot]/filedir/06/2f/062fb70cdaabee8481b6e1166645290d1f1bb16e
Error code: storedfilecannotread

Debug info: [dataroot]/filedir/4b/b3/4bb35d22580d5e7585644a63b5e856ce3ea6d473

Debug info: [dataroot]/filedir/7b/d6/7bd6914263db69e9a33595a69e552767cc95f153

Debug info: [dataroot]/filedir/a9/6d/a96d80ff2a77aa3fe204e8ce2c4c9399033b4685

Debug info: [dataroot]/filedir/c0/bd/c0bd0f02b726c9a3aca98d0d34e54339a2c539f8

As far as I know this is it.
In reply to Craig Cleator

by Ken Task -

Thought I suggested that this might involve more than one manual re-creation to satisfy Moodle (maybe not).

That's not too many to manually re-create, is it?  Considering you get the site usable again.   You might run into more of them later.   If so, you'll just have to do the process again ... and don't forget to re-edit whatever that pointed to the man-made text file.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Vani Bheemreddy -

Hi, 

I have a similar issue. 

Can I delete files from Server Files repository? Will this impact the courses where these files are added as I understand there could be some courses where files are added as 'alias/shortcut' and some courses as just a  'copy'?

In reply to Ken Task

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Ken,

I have create file as per your guidance but still having same error.

Debug info: [dataroot]/filedir/b7/4b/b74b7a349d7f87d8e5eb5f77db03c9401f7cb82f

My file : /home/dev-galaxy/Allprojects/moodledata/filedir/b7/4b/b74b7a349d7f87d8e5eb5f77db03c9401f7cb82f.txt

What I have missed Please help me. I have run admin/cron also.

Thanks,
Nidhi

Attachment error.png
In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Ken,

I have used the way to create file with appropriate permission but it doesn't work for me. Finally I have deleted that record from DB. This I have to do for at least 10records as per error notification I have changed the value of contenthashin below query :

select * from `mdl_files` where `contenthash` like "0d74d5947507bca548de06af166f8513fa3a0048"

It works for me smile

Thanks,

Nidhi

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Nishant Pandya -

Hey nidhi,

Thanks a lot smile You save my day. This is the correct answer for this issue.

Thanks,

Nishant

In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Ken Task -

Files in filedir do not have file name extensions.   So if you had renamed the false file you created: b74b7a349d7f87d8e5eb5f77db03c9401f7cb82f.txt

to b74b7a349d7f87d8e5eb5f77db03c9401f7cb82f

note no filename extension, that would have matched what's in the DB.

See in another post, you've found the records in the DB and dropped those records.   That's half of what you need to do to keep filedir accurate and in sync with the DB.  

Make sure you check if there is a file in filedir/xx/xx/[contenthash] and remove it as well if it's not linked any where else in your Moodle.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Nidhi Tiwari -

Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply smile . I have deleted records from DB but didn't maintain its list. Now I am not aware from filedir which file should be deleted. Also I am facing a issue of missing images due to this. Please suggest what should be the best way to repair this.

Thanks,

Nidhi

In reply to Nidhi Tiwari

by Ken Task -

@Nidhi ...

In a previous post you shared a query:

select * from `mdl_files` where `contenthash` like "0d74d5947507bca548de06af166f8513fa3a0048"

And that query found 10 references in the DB?  Are those the records you deleted?

In a similar situation, I selected contenthash,filename,filesize from ... blah, blah.   That way I knew if the file was a mimetype different from what was expected.   There could be more than one file in filedir/0d/74/

Assume you deleted those references in the DB (your query above).   I should have warned that since DB is out of sync with what's really in filedir, removing the reference from the DB should be done only when/if it's verified that there is no other file in that filedir/xx/yy/ directory.

So I'd do the query and then from ssh via command line:

cd /pathtomoodledata/filedir/

cd od/74/

and then I'd look to see what file (if any) was there:

ls -l

IF I saw a 0d74d5947507bca548de06af166f8513fa3a0048 file there, I'd check out what it was:

file -b 0d74d5947507bca548de06af166f8513fa3a0048

that command returns the file type/mimetype.

Because I had done the DB query with the filename, I could copy the 0d74d5947507bca548de06af166f8513fa3a0048 file out to document root (on my server /var/www/hmtl/) and rename it at the same time:

cp 0d74d5947507bca548de06af166f8513fa3a0048 /var/www/html/imagefilename.jpg (or whatever the filename was in the DB).

I could then look at the file via browser (later would remove the file from /var/www/html/

So now you have images missing ... like I said ... and like the warning.txt file says in filedir ... be careful and really know what you are doing when messing with any of it.

So ... if you can see the same errors as before ... missing [dataroot]/filedir/xx/yy/xxyyanothercontenthash

then to get around this now, manually create a file that has nothing in it at that location:

cd [dataroot]/filedir/xx/yy/

touch xxyyanothercontenthash

That last command will create a contenthash file name that is 0 bytes in size.

Now you can go into Moodle UI and edit the link to the file.  You are really editing the DB (again) while uploading the true image again to get the physical file into the sea of files contained in filedir matching what's in mdl_files.

You have to do that process for each errant reference ... one at a time.   I would not do a global sort of delete of the records in the DB without manually checking each one of those contenthash named files.

Hope this helps and doesn't make matters worse.

'spirit of sharing', Ken