2.5.1 How do I make vertical scrollbars for the course descriptions?

2.5.1 How do I make vertical scrollbars for the course descriptions?

by Wendi Daniels -
Number of replies: 9

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wendi Daniels

Re: 2.5.1 How do I make vertical scrollbars for the course descriptions?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Do you mean on the frontage course descriptions?

Your question is interesting.  I can see that some folks might want very long course descriptions embedded in Moodle, for example the course syllabus.

Quite honestly, I have never encountered the problem or need that you seek.  My approach is to provide a link to several documents that I consider to be course related, and the actual documents are elsewhere on my website.  I don't mind making my syllabus "public" to the world, either.

If you go to my main homepage, you can click on any course and see the syllabus.  Then, if you go to my main Moodle frontage, you will see that I link to the syllabus.  Of course, either method gets you to the exact same syllabus.  I only maintain one syllabus on my website, but I link to it in many places.  This method also provides a convenient way for students to print the syllabus.

I am not sure if anything that I have said here makes sense to you, or helps you think about your specific need (scrolling through a long course description.  I am offering these ideas just to help one think about other ways to solving a problem.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - if you are using Moodle 2.5  then you can upload a file to your course description/summary which would be possibly better than having a scroll bar. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wendi Daniels -

Hey, I have the information I want on the front page, but it is too long. That's why I wanted a scrollbar. I would be satisfied with a link, as you suggested. How do I do that? I just want the course titles to be closer, so they can see them. As it is, you can only see one because the second course is off the screen.

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Wendi,

At the Course summary option (in the Edit course settings page), go into HTML mode by clicking the Edit HTML source button (the <> icon) and delimit the description of the course with the following two highlighted strings:

<div style="max-height:120px; overflow-y:scroll;">
<p>a very very long description...</p>
</div>

Change the number, shown in red, according to your needs.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Wendi Daniels -
Thank you so much! It's perfect. I will have to say I was in a horrible mood until I saw your entry, "a very very long description..." You made me laugh and you cheered me up...thank you.

by Guillermo Madero -

Wonderful!! It's always great to be able to do that smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Florent Picard -

Hello Hakan:

As previously shown in this forum, to set a vertical scrooll bar for the course description in Moodle:

Step #1: display your course description in html mode

Step #2: write the following line as the first html line

<div style="max-height:120px; overflow-y:scroll;">

Step #3: write the following line as the last html line

</div>

Good luck.

(Edited by Mary Cooch - to remove signature in accordance with Site Policy -original submission Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 5:49 PM)

In reply to Deleted user

by Guillermo Madero -

Great! A Useful rating would then be nice smile

Attachment mdl_rate_useful.png