PoodLL Anywhere

PoodLL Anywhere

by Justin Hunt -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The new PoodLL Anywhere plugin for TinyMCE is now available in the add-ons database.

PoodLL Anywhere adds icons to the editor and allows the user to record audio and video or draw pictures, or snap pictures, directly into forum posts, assignment descriptions, page resource content, question descriptions, question responses and other areas.

There is more information, and it can be downloaded from, here.

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=tinymce_poodll

Development was funded by the Birmingham City University.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: PoodLL Anywhere

by Doug Moody -

Justin,

When I saw this, I wanted it! That is, until I saw this caveat...

"* It does not work on TinyMCE fullscreen mode *"

Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for my students. They need full screen mode for adding multimedia objects, since there isn't a lot of screen real estate and full screen allows them to see their entire project they work on.

Plus, I have instructed all students to default to a large font for readability. Without fullscreen mode, its almost impossible to type meaningful sentences with a large font.

I do hope someone at Birmingham U also fixes this drawback.

In reply to Doug Moody

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Doug,

It seems to me after try it out, that the PoodLL Anywhere tools do not need to work when TinyMCE HTML editor is in it's full screen mode as they are for recording audio, video, pictures or drawing on a supplied canvas/whiteboard area. Besides, there is a work around if you have the PoodLL Repository installed. Then you just use the Insert/Edit Moodle Media tool button to get to those tools anyway.

The site I gave you access to last August has all the PoodLL add-ons installed. You are welcome to try it there before installing you own. You still have the same user name and password there.

AL

In reply to Doug Moody

by Justin Hunt -

Yes, its a wee drawback. But  I am sure it can be overcome.

I just couldn't figure out how to the "itemid" of the draft area when in full screen mode. It really should be possible.

It is of course possible to drag the html editor to be monster big even when not in full screen mode. 

Now that Atto is the new html editor though, I am hopeful there won't be similar issues there.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Michelle Jackman -

This is brilliant. I've noticed however that Poodll Anywhere isn't available when commenting on a student's Poodll quiz question response. Is there a way round it? I'm working with a language teacher who wants to give audio feedback on the students' recordings (to correct pronunciation etc) , but doesn't want to have to set up a separate assignment just for one question.

Poodll needs to be part of Moodle core - it's invaluable to us! Thanks Justin et al.

Michelle

In reply to Michelle Jackman

by Michelle Jackman -

P.S. Why am I unable to start a new thread in the PoodLL forum? It seems to have a group setting and I don't belong to any group. sad

by Justin Hunt -

Michelle

The reason is, that html area does not allow file uploads, so we can't put anything in there.

Doh. I think there is not much we can do about it. PoodLL detects if files can be stored in the file area, and if not will not show the PoodLL icons.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Michelle Jackman -

That's a shame, but thanks for confirming. smile

I've asked for our text cache lifetime to be changed from 15 minutes to none. The setting is locked on our hosted Moodle and we have quite a large site so am worried they will not change this setting. sad

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Carolina Quintero Barrios -

Hi!

I do not too much about poodll...so I hope to find here some help. My problem is when I use the whiteboard to make draws. For example if a make a workshop or if a build a page I can use de Poodle whiteboard without problems...i mean, i can to finish the activity and then I can get the view of that draw. BUT if i use de tinymce editor to make a draw into a Database or Questionary I can use it but i can not to see the draws... i can see this for example in my database:

"Picture 1:     submittedimage"    (here i must to show the draw but it does not.)

In the case of my questionary results it does not show my answer (draw) neither.

I have installed all the plugin related to "database poodll fields"...question types...filter...etc...all plugins that poodll suit belong to.... my version moodle is 2.6

So...what is my problem?? sad

I apologize for my poor english skills....Hope you get me and might help me

CAROLINA.

In reply to Carolina Quintero Barrios

by Justin Hunt -

Actually there is a problem in the database activity, I just posted the fix for you now. 

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=datafield_poodll

That might solve that problem.

For PoodLL Anywhere the problem might be a little different. Try setting "autosave" to 0 on the PoodLL filter settings. I attached a screenshot. Then just press the save button once before you "insert" the picture. (but make sure you press it, or you will lose the picture)

Each time it "saves" it adds the picture to the Moodle files area, and sometimes Moodle limits the file area to 1 file. If it is on autosave, it might save many times. That is the heart of the problem. I will be redoing things to work around that soon (I hope).

To summarise:

i) install the new version of the database field

ii) set  autosave to 0 in PoodLL filter settings.

Does that help?

Justin

Justin

Attachment スクリーンショット_031314_032414_PM.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

Hi Justin...

Many thanks for your help. Your instructions were useful.

God bless you for sharing your knoledge and experience...smile

by Michelle Jackman -

Me again!

We've come across another issue. When the Poodll filter is on, the videos do not display  until the user clicks.  Ideas?

by Justin Hunt -

Michelle

Where is it happening? If it is in the forum, try raising the maximum number of attachments to 2 or more. The video is an attachment and the thumbnail/splash is too. So that makes 2.

If that is not the problem, perhaps the glossary auto linking filter has hijacked the PoodLL filter string. Try disabling glossary autolinking in site admin -> plugins -> text filters

Justin

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Michelle Jackman -

Thanks for the prompt reply Justin.

This video is embedded into a Topic summary. We have glossary auto linking disabled.

by Justin Hunt -

Ah, in that case. I wonder if it is not a conflict with the multimedia plugins filter.

If the PoodLL filter and Moodle’s Multimedia Plugins filter both filter the same text you get  “double filtering” and that can mess up the links . This is usually fixed if you make sure the the PoodLL filter is higher in the list of filters (Site Administration->Plugins->Filters->Manage filters  ).  

But in a label or topic summary it might not be. Try turning off the multimedia plugins filter temporarily. Does that fix it? If so, you can tell the Multimedia filter  not to handle MP3/FLV/MP4 etc at

Site administration->Appearance->Media embedding .

Alternatively you can tell PoodLL not to handle those files, on the PoodLL filter settings page. Or you could just leave the Multimedia Plugins filer disabled, and rely on PoodLL for all that stuff.

In reply to Justin Hunt

Hi Justin:

I need some help about poodll. I created a database activity in moodle (version 2.6) using poodle to get 6 draws made in the poodll whiteboard. I can add the database entry without problems in my MAC PC. However, if i want to use another gadget like a Tablet or smartphone to make this activity the buttons and the whiteboard interfaz is damaged. I mean, is it impossible to use the whiteboard poodll on mobil gadgets or is there something missing in some place which needs configuration?

Hope you get me smile

Thanks for any help.

CAROLINA

Attachment Screenshot_2014-04-21-10-35-41.png

by Justin Hunt -

Boy, that doesn't look good. It is supposed to work on mobile. And it does on my own humble tests. But on different devices there might be problems.

PoodLL has three whiteboards. The poodll whiteboard(flash), literally canvas(javascript), drawingboard (javascript). Which of those is selected in the PoodLL filter settings? ( site admin -> plugins -> filters -> poodll filter )

Try setting each of the two javascript whiteboards and see if that makes a difference. PoodLL should detect if the device is a mobile one, and display the literally canvas whiteboard in that case.

Also try the "crocodiles" activity in Topic 4 at http://demo.poodll.com . If it works on that site, but not yours, perhaps you can find a difference in the settings.

Justin