Accessible *hidden* courses

Accessible *hidden* courses

by Charlie Oliver Ng -
Number of replies: 6

Hello. I have a course that acts as a placeholder for several sub-courses, i.e. it has links pointing to sections in the course.

For example, the course is about math. There's a slide that's like a table of contents with links to the sub-topics addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. All of these are uploaded as SCORM modules *but* I do not want the users to see the sub-topics.

Is it possible to hide the sub-courses and still remain completely accessible to the users via the placeholder?

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Charlie Oliver Ng

Re: Accessible *hidden* courses

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So in essence what you want is to define a resource / activity in one place and have many courses access it?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Charlie Oliver Ng -

Yes. I suppose it's something like that.

I want the placeholder to be the only course visible while the sub-courses are hidden yet accessible.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you tried experimenting with Metacourse's?

by Charlie Oliver Ng -

Yes I have. But the meta course still leaves the sub-topics visible to the users.

I am hoping to have is for the sub-topics to only be accessible from the placeholder:

1. The sub-topics cannot be found and accessed via the course list.
  2. Also, clicking the link in the placeholder launches the next sub-topic without having to see the info/reporting page below (not sure what it's called.)

Thanks for your patience, Mr Barnard!

Attachment Untitled.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

To be honest, I'm not sure of a solution, but have you tried attempting to solve with capabilities?  Otherwise, possibly hacking the core code such that courses with certain id's were not shown in the course list but still had their visibility setting set to 'Show'.

by Charlie Oliver Ng -

Thank you for your input, kind sir.

Yep, I have tried whatever options I currently have available (hiding or moving to another category, etc.). I guess I have to find away using the authoring tool itself.

Again, thanks!