TaskChain does not allow free access

TaskChain does not allow free access

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 9

Hi Gordon,

A student just alerted me to the fact. I have just run into this problem which did not exist before.  I even went back to see if I had the correct settings on a previous TaskChain for which this problem did not occur. I have the TaskChain update from late January.

Here are my settings for a four-HotPot TaskChain.

Thanks,

Jeff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: TaskChain does not allow free access

by Jeff Finnan -

I went back to try some of the other TaskChains that were no-point, free access and worked as such. They are similarly not allowing free access.  

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Jeff,
thanks for reporting this issue. I haven't investigated it all yet, but it seems to me there is a good chance it is connected to the incorrect settings of TaskChain grades you reported elsewhere.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

<<<there is a good chance it is connected to the incorrect settings of TaskChain grades you reported elsewhere>>>

Free access was working until just recently even after I had brought up the issue with TaskChain grades.

Thanks,

Jeff

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

I just installed the Feb 10 versions of HotPot and TaskChain modules and free access now appears to work again.

I make a completely fee-access TaskChain after a unit test for those students who want to review particular HotPots if they choose to take a retake test.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

While the no-point free access does work, a TaskChain with points does not allow one to do one HotPot, leave the TaskChain, and go back in. One always is forced to start all over again. It shows the previous attempt at being abandoned.

Later,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

With the latest version of the TaskChain has free access been resolved?

I want to chain a series of HotPots again and was wondering whether I should or not.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jeff,
I haven't directly tested this, but I did find time to have another look at the scoring anomalies you have recently pointed out and they seem to be behaving better. Please could you try some tests on a new TaskChain and let me know if the free access seems to be working now?

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Jeff,
I have logged in as "gestteacher" on my testing server and confired that having scored 98% on the "Jeff's 5 HotPot Acid Names" TaskChain activity, i was subsequently given free access to the tasks when reattempting the TaskChain. It seems to me that this issue is fixed now. Do you concur? 

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

While free access is allowed after successful completion, it does not work exactly as it did before. As I write maybe it is better with this newer way, maybe not.

On your server, I set up another trial with entry and exit pages. I added a few more questions so that I could get something less than 100% and still pass. In student role after successfully completing the TaskChain and clicking on the TaskChain, I was presented with this:

When I clicked on Start new chain attempt, I was offered free access as shown below. However, this is not how it worked in the past. I then edited the settings such that there were no entry and exit pages. Back in student mode, when I clicked on the TaskChain, I was immediately presented with this free access screen:

Which is how it worked before when there were entry and exit pages.

Thinking about this a bit, to me either case is acceptable: Start new attempt with subsequent free accessws or direct to free access. However, I think it should be consistent whether with entry/exit pages or without them. I think my preference is for direct to free access as before. but that likely is because I am set in my ways.

Thanks for putting up with me,

Jeff