statistical analysis of quiz answers

statistical analysis of quiz answers

by Ben Smith -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 2.6+

I am interested in running statistical analysis of quiz answers at the completion of a quiz and displaying the result to the student.  One of the items I'd like to calculate would just require some simple math, sensitivity and specificity.  A secondary desire would be to display an ROC curve based on the answers given, but I'd have to invoke R stats app, state, PSPP, or something similar to generate the curve.  

I know that PHP can invoke command line applications, but I really just don't know where to start to set something like this up.  Can any of the PHP aficionados weigh in here?

Ben

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Smith

Re: statistical analysis of quiz answers

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you looked at Quiz administration -> Results -> Statistics?

I have never heard of those statistics you mention being calculated in relation to assessments. There is a well worked out theory of Psychometrics that gives statistically valid ways to analyse quiz data. Unless you know what you are doing, stick to the standard statistics.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: statistical analysis of quiz answers

by Ben Smith -

Tim,

Thanks for your response.  The statistics I am wanting to run are not to assess the performance of the quiz or quiz questions, but rather to assess each student's ability to answer the question correctly.  ROC curves and sensitivity/specificity pertain to each student's performance.  

To simplify my question: since I know I can get the stats I need via the linux command line and an SQL query, can someone tell me what code I can add to my PHP pages to run a command line script, passing on a unique identifier that would allow the query to get to the quiz answers for that quiz submission?

Ben