Slide show easier than ever

Slide show easier than ever

by Itamar Tzadok -
Number of replies: 8

Not available yet but so nice that is probably worth the heads-up.

One field that allows uploading images and then displays them in a slide show, either fade or scroll effect (by pattern). It uses jquery tcycle (jquery is included in Moodle and tcycle is is a minimalist jQuery slideshow plugin by malsup (http://jquery.malsup.com/cycle2/tcycle/) included in the field plugin). The setting of the Dataform to do that is fairly minimal.

Tried to snapshot the fading between the parrot and butterfly. In this particular illustration, the Dataform is set to display inline on the frontpage. smile 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Slide show easier than ever

by dawn alderson -

Itamar, hi

I like this, thanks for sharing it.  One thing, I can't work out how the user can engage with it.  I can't see any arrows on the pages to enable the user control over slide selection.  

Bonnet and bee with sliders at the moment...will move on from the topic-in my head, eventually smile

Stumbled across this link too:

wowslider.com/demo.html

cheers,

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Itamar Tzadok -

Hi Dawn,

This one is minimal and as such quite simplified to the effect that the user does not interact with it.

There are examples of more interactive slideshows with the Dataform but at this point they require adding a bit of javascript to the activity. This part is not too difficult and the code examples offered by providers of js galleries are usually sufficient for anyone to be able to create the effect in the Dataform. The Dataform docs already provide an example and more examples are underway.

The main issue when using these js galleries is licensing. Not all galleries are free and usually those with the interactive features are not. The galleires on wowslider.com are not free if you use them for commercial purposes. I cannot include in the Dataform galleries that are not completely free. But if you have a gallery you want to use, I can help with instructions how to apply it to a Dataform activity.

hth smile

by dawn alderson -

Itamar, hi

thanks for this. I have had a look at the examples of the interactive slideshows with the dataform in the docs, and yes understand that the basic non-interactive type of gallery-slider is without that top-up code you mention, really useful to know.  I have uploaded some photos to a database, but am not sure if we have dataform with Moodle at the institution.  I aim to investigate.  At the moment the main issue I have is that the photographs can be viewed as previous/next and so on....but there is a kind of screen shuffle-so to speak- during those transitions.  Just would be so much easier and nifty if all in one square-slider with one forward and one back arrow....seems straight forward when one is not writing the code I suppose smile

cheers,

Dawn

by dawn alderson -

Itamar, hi

sending my omission, apologies, left it out earlier.

Rationale:

Most L&T tends to be about delivery/engagement........which leads to application.  I could be wrong, of course. However, when teaching, the use of audio (teacher talk), so learner as listener......also learner talks....so vocal -and there will always be learners who prefer to observe/watch.  So, if teaching a topic about processes, for example, speech and audio can reach most learners, but with visual stimuli this can help to 'see' things from more than one angle.  Can also possibly be an element that can contribute to student succes, as I say, perhaps.  

Tis why I have an itch about it! thoughtful

Cheers,

Dawn

by Itamar Tzadok -

If you're thinking about something like a power point presentation (without auto transition), you can definitely use the Database or Dataform activity for that. Each slide would be an entry and participants would be able to navigate from one entry to another by means of the paging bar. This is the most common usage of the Database or Dataform activity. There is no auto shuffling and there is no need for javascript. smile

by dawn alderson -

Itamar....thank you.

Sounds like a likely solution big grin

But, to be honest- I mean to be sure, with all due respect to Microsoft, I don't think PP cuts the mustard.

Thanks again though.

Dawn

by dawn alderson -

Itamar, hi

have been working on some presentation items, and I quite like the haiku deck software...tis innovative and enables a creative approach, for free. Can be transferred into PP:

settled with it for now!

here is the link fyi-if interested,   www.haikudeck.com

cheers,

Dawn