Course Total not shown for Sum of Grades

Course Total not shown for Sum of Grades

by Mike Landis -
Number of replies: 4

We are using Moodle 2.5.

One of our faculty members using "Sum of Grades"  has a course for which the Grade Total is not shown in the User Report or the Grader Report.  When the instructor turns editing on however, Moodle shows calculated sums in the box, ready and available to override.   I have not yet been able to replicate the problem.

1. The course has no hidden items
  2. The course has no categories
  3. The course includes gradebook items, forum activities, quizzes, and assignments.
  4. None of the grades for any of the items are hidden.
  5. There is no "drop the lowest" in the category full view, all of the Multipliers are 1.0, and offsets are 0.0.  None of the extra credit boxes are checked.   Checking "aggregate including subcategories" makes no difference.

Course Grade Settigns are:

• Aggregation Position: Last
  • Grade Display Type:  Real
  • Decimal Points: 2
  • Show Rank:  hide
  • Show percentage: hide
  • show grades:  show
  • show feedback: show
  • show weightings: hide
  • show average: hide (makes no difference if changed)
  • show letter grades: hide  (makes no sense for sum of total anyway if partial course complete)
  • show ranges: hide
  • range decimals: 0
  • show hidden items: Only Hidden Until  (tried different settings)
  • Hide totals if they contain hidden items: Show totals including hidden items

Does anyone have any tips as to how to have the course total show up for students and the instructor?

Thanks,

Mike

In reply to Mike Landis

Re: Course Total not shown for Sum of Grades

by Bob Puffer -

shots in the dark:

• Is there a calculation assigned to the total. you can check from cats and items clicking the calculation icon
  • Is it overridden? If its not showing orange it may still be overridden depending on controlling css. Check by editing one of the total grade cells
  • Hide totals if contain hidden items has a setting for just plain 'Hide'
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mike Landis -

Thanks for replying!

Those are all things I checked yes.  None of them are obvious (especially the CSS issue).

What's especially disturbing is the fact that I can't reproduce the problem in my sandbox.  Questions that may help:

1) Individual grades can be overridden and hidden in the gradebook.  Is there some other place where an individual grade might be edited (or assignment details set) that might cause Moodle to not show the calculated sum so far?

2) You can control lots of options in the Course Grade Settings screen, and that's where the hide/show total option exists.  Is there some other setting that might affect this one course somewhere that I'm not thinking about?

Workaround I am recommending to the faculty:  Since there are no categories, and since different items have different numbers of points, "Sum of Grades" is exactly equivalent to "Simple Weighted Mean" - and the teacher can just switch to that.  It has other advantages, such as the student seeing a total that is more relevant (87%) rather than somewhat meaningless (240 points out of ... ?????)

Thanks,

Mike

In reply to Mike Landis

by Barbara Taylor -

This happened to us when then course total column became locked and turned golden.  Is your course total golden?  If you Turn editing on -> click on the edit hand icon for the first student -> look at the pop-up and see if the overridden box is checked (if so, uncheck it) -> save changes

Look to see if you can see the points total.  If so, repeat for each student.

Look under Categories and Items -> Full View -> make sure the extra credit box isn't selected for all of the grade items

Barbara

In reply to Mike Landis

by Bob Puffer -

Because the LAE Grader report maintains accurate points for cats and course, we've eliminated Sum of grades from the mix.