Atto wins! What now for TinyMCE?

Atto wins! What now for TinyMCE?

by Justin Hunt -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So Atto it is. 

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43841

Moving right along, I need to port a whole bunch of TinyMCE plugins to Atto, but I will need to maintain the TinyMCE ones also for a while also.

Can we assume TinyMCE will be available as an alternative editor in Moodle 2.7, and if so will that be TinyMCE 4 or the current version of TinyMCE?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: Atto wins! What now for TinyMCE?

by dawn alderson -

Just a tiny thought...big grin

whatever choice is made...can the annoying thing where it takes several seconds, or longer, for the editor to appear-like ummmm, disappear, perhaps?

cheers

Dawn 

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Derek Chirnside -

Just curious Justin.  Are you expecting a scenario where people upgrade to 2.7 and continue to use TinyMCE, and hence you want it still there??

I assumed this process we have been through meant that if Atto emerged from the selection process then it was the editor.  That then there was no need for the severe load of maintaining TinyMCE a no longer supported editor (From the TinyMCE Mothershop perspective)

I'd have imagined that if people could not upgrade they would just stay with 2.6+

I've just posted on the tracker item https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43841 to see if it is possible to see the current progress on ATTO anywhere.

Good luck with your porting.

-Derek

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Justin.

It will still be possible to use TinyMCE 3.5 in Moodle. The editors are now plugable and users can now select their preferred editor when more than one is installed. Atto will be the default in new installations, but this will be configurable by admins.

The creation of plugins for Atto is (reported to be) easier than TinyMCE. There is some information on creating plugins at http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Atto#Atto_Plugins but I suspect there is more detail needed. We need a pioneer outside HQ to give this a go and help improve that.

By the way, if we'd upgraded to TinyMCE 4, you would have had to rewrite your plugins as they have changed their API.

Dawn: If it's not faster than the current editor, I'll eat Damyon's hat.

In reply to Michael de Raadt

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Great, thanks for the clarification Michael. 

I was actually saying to Joseph Thibault a few days ago that while its a drag to rewrite everything, its true that TinyMCE 3.5 plugins were hard to work with.
So I am on the Atto train now. When theres a break in the clouds I will start porting the plugins.

Derek, the reason for maintaining the old plugins is that not everyone will go to Atto right away, even when they go to Moodle 2.7. And of course some people will stay on pre Moodle 2.7 for a while yet. And crumbs, PoodLL Anywhere only just got approved today!!!