statistics

statistics

by Maria Accarino -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I have some troubles interpreting the statistics in "Administration>Report>Statistics" and maybe you can help me, I'm using Moodle 2.6.

- Why does the website record access of "guest"and "teacher-not-editor" even though those roles are assigned to nobody (neither for the homepage nor for the whole website)?

- Why does the column "guest" report accesses even though the course is not open to guests)

Best,

Maria

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Accarino

Re: statistics

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Maria,

• "Guest" hits could be due to being your Moodle instance open to the Google crawlers: check your Site Policies, http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Site_policies#Open_to_Google;
  • "Non-editing teacher" hits could be due to User Policies, Site administration > Users > Permissions > User policies: look there at creatornewroleid and restorernewroleid (http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Course_creator_role) and double check the enrollments in each course (even in Administration > Course Administration > Users > Other users). Otherwise, I've just no idea about those entries thoughtful.

HTH,
Matteo

P.S.: a similar question has been posted in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=253243#p1098563 inside a discussion targeting another question. I've decided to reply here being a new dedicated discussion.

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Maria Accarino -

Hi Matteo, thank you very much

• "Guest" hits could be due to being your Moodle instance open to the Google crawlers: check your Site Policies -->  this setting is not enable
  • "Non-editing teacher" hits could be due to User Policies, Site administration > Users > Permissions > User policies: look there at creatornewroleid andrestorernewroleid --> it's ok (default: editingteacher - editingteacher)
  • and double check the enrollments in each course (even in Administration > Course Administration > Users > Other users) --> there aren't users 

I don't understand thoughtful sad

In reply to Maria Accarino

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Maria,
that's strange and the fact there is no other reply from the Community too surprise.

I could suggest you to carefully look at the raw logs of each course to see when actions done by Guest or Non-editing teacher have been recorded in the past and to look for some relation with the timeline: maybe, in the past, a change in the configuration occurred for some reasons.

If you want to go deeper in finding the reason/bug for such strange entries in your system given your current configuration, the only thing I could suggest is to create a new instance of Moodle for testing purposes and play with it every day e.g. to test what it will be done in the production instance: no course restore here from your main instance otherwise it will be more difficult to find the root reason for the bug, if any.

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Kristen Hortman -

Have you determined the cause of the "Guest" role showing up? I am having the same issues on my site. When I look at the Statistics no logs come up for the "Guest" but they show up on the report. I also do not have anyone listed as a guest on our site.