Grade Essays "Email graded essays" gives "Coding error detected..."

Grade Essays "Email graded essays" gives "Coding error detected..."

autor Andrew Simpson -
Počet odpovědí: 4

Dear Lesson gurus,

this may be almost pointless in asking this since I am using not only using an old version of Moodle 2.0... but previous discussions have already pointed out that the "Email graded essays" function contains bugs.

We (a university-run course in the UK) have nevertheless - prior to discovering this bug - introduced a new form of assessment for our surgical students that relies on this function.  We require our students to submit an answer to a scenario posted as an Essay Question within a Lesson.  The tutors are then required to review these and email the students back with their response, using the "Email graded essays" link.

It is only now (I know I know - should have tested more thoroughly!) that we get the following error message:

"Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Could not load preference message_provider_mod_lesson_graded_essay_loggedoff. Does the component and name you supplied to message_send() match a row in message_providers? Message providers must appear in the database so users can configure how they will be notified when they receive messages.

More information about this error"

My predicament is that we are trying to negotiate outsourcing the hosting of our courses (currently hosted on campus) which will include an upgrade to the latest version of Moodle; but this is taking time to iron out all the data security details.  In the mean time, I may be able to ask one of the technical guys to fix the code of our existing service if I can identify what is wrong.

Any help from this forum would be massively appreciated since it is quite embarrassing now having introduced this new assessment method, only to have to admit to our students it doesn't work.

Andrew

Průměr hodnocení: -
V odpovědi na Andrew Simpson

Re: Grade Essays "Email graded essays" gives "Coding error detected..."

autor Joseph Rézeau -
Obrázek: Core developers Obrázek: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázek: Plugin developers Obrázek: Testers Obrázek: Translators

Hi Andrew,

1.- Are you actually using version 2.0 of Moodle on your site? That is now really considered a "beta" version, is no longer maintained, and you should must really upgrade to a more current version ASAP.

2.- From your description it is hard to understand what kind of development you have made. Using the Assignment activity looks like the obvious solution if you want an "essay" kind of activity, to be graded by teachers/tutors. Why not use that activity?

3.- Now, re that coding error message, it is telling you that in the "development" you have created, you forgot to take care of the message providers. In the current Lesson module, that is located in mod/lesson/db/messages.php, and consists of the following lines:

$messageproviders = array (
    // essay graded notification
    'graded_essay' => array (
    )
);

Again, it's difficult to help if you do not provide more technical details about your development. I suggest you post further (technical) questions to the General developer forum.

Joseph

V odpovědi na Joseph Rézeau

autor Andrew Simpson -

Hi Joseph

thanks very much for getting back.  I have administrator access and you are now going to ask why... as I'm not sure how to find the version of Moodle I am using!

1. We are in a political situation with the university - in that they don't want to support it any longer hence I may press for an upgrade, but they will reply OK, but you're on your own if there are new issues!  I'm nervous about messing with the VLE when it has been 100% reliable for three years (up until now!) delivering courses - without a break - to remote users across the UK.  If there were a "fix" whilst we negotiate our third-party hosting solution, that would be ideal and less risk.

2. The lesson route allowed students to submit an answer as a prerequisite to seeing the "official" answer.  I will take a look at the assignment activity to see whether it offers that "controlled release" required.

3. Firstly, thank you!  I will talk to one of my coding IT friends who originally set this Moodle up and ask if he would be able to make the alteration under the university radar!

I'm extremely grateful for your help and all the points about upgrading are well understood.

Best wishes

Andrew

autor Andrew Simpson -

Hi Joseph - here's an update.

I asked one of our technical server guys to make the coding changes on our "identical" test server which he kindly did.  However, re-reading your reply to me - I am not sure if you were simply identifying where the error might be coming from OR if this segment of code needed to be inserted into mod/lesson/db/messages.php?  Since I have no access to the server pages, I left that interpretation to him.  I can see by simply entering the path into the URL window of the browser that the code snippet appears on the test server but on the live server gives a 404 Not Found; I assume therefore that my chap has added a new php file called "messages.php" with your code in.

I then backed-up the course from the live server where the new lesson approach has been introduced and restored it into the test server.

Unfortunately, I get an identical error (see attached) having now applied the new code.  Unless there is another possible explanation for the error, I expect I have probably reached the end of the road for this version of Moodle.  Thankfully, I have taken one small step closer in arranging the outsourcing of the service (although will have to live with this until April) - so assuming this is not a known error on Moodle 2.6 - that should solve the issue?

Best wishes

Andrew

Příloha Firefoxgrab077.png

autor Joseph Rézeau -
Obrázek: Core developers Obrázek: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázek: Plugin developers Obrázek: Testers Obrázek: Translators

Andrew "I expect I have probably reached the end of the road for this version of Moodle. "

I'm afraid so.mrknout

Joseph